LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find download links for Run-Time Engine patches

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to find the Run-Time engine patch for LabVIEW 2017 SP1 f4 and can't find a way to download it using the new download page.  

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/software-products/download.labview.html#310831

Any ideas as to how to find it?  I can't seem to be able to download run-time engine patches for any versions (and I know they exist because I have them).

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,980 Views)

You can get it through NI Package Manager

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,911 Views)

NI Package Manager requires Admin privileges so I can't (easily) run that on my system.  I have to get the installer approved by my IT in order to self install it, so that is why I need to be able to get the installer by normal means.  Why are the other installers available through ni.com and not the RTEs?  Are they soon going to take the other installers down too?  😉

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,885 Views)

@BruceMoyer wrote:

NI Package Manager requires Admin privileges so I can't (easily) run that on my system.  I have to get the installer approved by my IT in order to self install it, so that is why I need to be able to get the installer by normal means.

I am also not fond of everything being pushed via NIPM.  I have managed to find a flaming hoop I can jump through to get it to work, but many corporate IT departments, especially those in the defense industry, do not like the idea of all installs going through a package manager and an online installer.  And then I have my test systems which are not part of any network (avoid IT interference as much as possible).  We need everything to be available through a downloadable installer.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,879 Views)

Have you tried downloading the LabVIEW 2017 SP1 RTE (without the f4)? Do patches apply to the RTE? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,861 Views)

The link to download LabVIEW installers doesn't even let you download RTE installers.  It seems that the patches also apply to RTEs (on my development computer that I am able to elevate privileges I was able to use NIPM to update it, but that doesn't solve my issue for computers that are locked down).

MAX.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,851 Views)

This is a bit of an undesirable workaround (and may fail spectacularly if it requires admin privileges, which it may) but you could try creating an EXE, then an installer, for some trivial program and then including the runtime in that installer?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,848 Views)

Thanks, I thought about doing this, creating a "dummy" installer that installs the patch, but instead I found the "installer" in the NIPM cache ("NI LabVIEW Runtime 2017 SP1 f4 (64-bit) [17.64.49153]") and requested approval to install it using the .msi file since there isn't a typical installer program (setup.exe). 

I checked MAX and it now has the correct RTE patch. 

Doing all of this seems a bit hokey, so I'm hoping this isn't the new norm.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,835 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BruceMoyer

@BruceMoyer wrote:

The link to download LabVIEW installers doesn't even let you download RTE installers. 

Yes it does. And it looks like it downloaded the latest patched version for me because the file is called "LVRTE2017SP1_f4Patchstd.zip"

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 12
(2,824 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Yes it does. And it looks like it downloaded the latest patched version for me because the file is called "LVRTE2017SP1_f4Patchstd.zip"

Ah, instead of looking at the patch we should be looking at the actual version.  Not sure how I feel about that.  Seems confusing.

But in my looking at this again, I just noticed that 2019 SP1 is available for download!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,797 Views)