LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Open a Remote Panel of an Asynchronously Running Clone VI residing in a Packed-Project-Library in a built Executable

The title suggests I am really up against some edge-case usage but anyway...

When making use of LabVIEW 2018 (64-bit) built in functionality to open Remote Panels (not remote-debugging) I appear to be unable to open a VI's front panel of a built-executable if that VI resides in a packed project library. The VI in question is an asynchronously running clone VI and I have not tested a typical top-level VI. I also have not tested if this also occurs when the application is running in the LabVIEW Development Environment. I have tested if this still works if the packed libary is debuggable or not - it happens in both cases.

I have attached my example code which consists of two projects: Main which is the "main" project and Clone-Library-Builder which is purely used to produce a packed-project-library.

The Main project can be used to build the Test-App.exe executable. When the executable is run it does the following:

1. Opens a dialog to allow the application's webserver port to be set so it doesn't conflict with the port used by the LabVIEW Development Environment.
  2. Generates a webserver configuration file which it loads using a LV Application invoke node.
  3. Launches two clone VIs - one from the packed project library and one from a normal project library. Each VI indicates its clone name which is required when connecting to it.

With the Test-App executable running I use my LabVIEW Development Environment to do the following:

1. Open the "Connect to Remote Panel" using Operate>>Connect to Remote Panel...
  2. Set the Server Address to "localhost"
  3. Set the port to that which I specified (also displayed on each clone VI)
  4. Set the VI Name to that specified on the clone VI
  5. Click on Connect

Error.png

This functions as expected for the non-packed-project VI but if I attempt to connect to the packed-project version of the VI I encounter the following error and the LabVIEW Development Environment crashes!

Error 2.png

I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried something similar and do they also encounter any issues?

I was considering developing an application where remote systems are running a remote-app-server which launches plugin-apps and allows for clients to easily list remote panels on a range of hosts and open them. Use of packed project libraries would just be a nice-to-have of a fictional application.

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(1,683 Views)