LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Open Serial Port

Hi I am trying to write to an ADAM 4571 Ethernet to RS422 converter. Using the software provided by the vendor Ver. 1.49. I can setup the device properly, than configure it as a virtual com port. The problem is LabView sees the port but can not open it. Visa Open Fails every time. There is very little information about this problem.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,208 Views)

Hey, if you really want help with your issue, please post more information.  The error code that you receive and your code would be a good point to start.

The most likely cause is that you are trying to open the VISA session while the vendor software is still connected to it.  Only one connection can be made at a given time to the VISA resource.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,200 Views)

What error are you getting?  Are you using this port with any other programs?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,198 Views)

Hey Thanks for replying so fast. I know the error code would be helpful, but I don't have access to the equipment at this time. Let me tell you a little more history; Two different computers one is a laptop, has the runtime LabView 11 SP1, NIDAQ951f1_downloader and niser370 installed.  This machine the software works as it should running an executable. The second computer has LabView 11 SP1 Developer installed. This is the development station, this machine is the one that I can not open the Virtual com port. Vender software is installed on both machines and configured the same. The executable source code will not run on the development computer. It fails when it tries to talk to the serial port. To trouble shoot this problem I opened a blank VI dropped Visa Open and Visa Close in it wired a control to Comport selection and indicator to error out, connected error terminals and com out to com in. The error said that it could see the com port but could not talk to it. This error was generated by the open routine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,157 Views)

Did you install the VISA run-time engine on that PC?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,151 Views)