From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultrasonic HC-SR04 and NI6008.

Dear all

I bought 2 ultrasonic sensors and I am thinking to connect it in my ni6008 board.

I read somewhere that I will need counter ports and NI6008 doesn't has this ports.

My question is, It is possible using the generate signals module to generate a pulse (in true/false box) armed by the digital port and then read the response by the trigger and gate or other module?

Can the forum please help me release this?

Best regards

CPalha

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,153 Views)

Hi cpalha,

read the spec of the 6008: it has one counter...

Then you should make clear your requirements:

- What kind of output signal do you need? (samplerate/frequency/voltage levels/current consumption).

- The 6008 only supports software timing for it's DOs, so you're limited to max ~150Hz sample rate here

- what kind of inputs signals do you want to measure? (same as before: frequency/voltage level/samplerate)

Did you call your local NI representative to discuss this topic?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,151 Views)

Thanks GerdW

Please take a look for the examples that I found and it works with other boards.

Best regards

CPalha

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,146 Views)

Hi CPalha,

as you wrote "it works with other boards": it will not work with an USB6008.

It lacks the CO functionality as well as all hardware-timed DO. You only have one single CI available.

Call your local NI office, they may offer suited hardware for your task...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,138 Views)

Dear GerdW

Thanks for your help.

I prefer doing everything to work with my board. As you now this sensor works with arduino and arduino is cheaper.

But even this I will try to resolve the problem and with forum help to use the board.

Maybe with a supplementary electronic chip we can work with sensors.

In any case many thanks, but this project is a hobbie for me and a challenge to build a equipement to count and classifies cars...

Best regards

CPalha

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,130 Views)

Dear GerdW

I m having the same problem with this NI USB 6008. Why i cant use my DAQ as a triggering source ?? If its not possible, Can i use any other device to interface my DAQ with HC-SR04 Ultrasonic sensor.??

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,854 Views)

The reason why can't use NIDAQ is because the rate of burst required by HC-SR04 is too high - 50microseconds, or 20k burst per second.

https://www.microcontrollertips.com/principle-applications-limitations-ultrasonic-sensors-faq/

Representation of trigger signal, acoustic bursts, reflected signal and output of echo pin. (Source: HC-SR04 User Guide)Representation of trigger signal, acoustic bursts, reflected signal and output of echo pin. (Source: HC-SR04 User Guide)

And NIDAQ 6008 can only manage 150Hz?

Alternatively is to use an arduino, and program the Arduino to output a digital pin as INPUT for NIDAQ 6008.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,511 Views)