LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB barcode scanning using keyboard input!!!

Hello All,

I am trying to read a USB barcode scanner configured as a keyboard input in Labview. I initialize the keyboard input and wait for the scan in a while loop to read the scanner input. I am able to read the characters but the keyboard does not return the barcode as is printed. It returns 0's in between characters and also misses some characters. So, it is not consistent on what it reads each time. have any of you had a similar problem, your help is appreciated.

Thanks
PR
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,584 Views)
Along with this, you seem to want to do things the hard way. Have you tried a simple string control for entering the scan? Here's a a simple VI. The front panel Stop control is set for a 'Return' toggle in the Key Navigation menu so that the while looop stops as soon as the bar code scanner sends a return character. It's in 8.0.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,572 Views)

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback...I realised it later on. Thank for the inputs.

PR

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,564 Views)

ramtekpr wrote:
Hello All,

I am trying to read a USB barcode scanner configured as a keyboard input in Labview. I initialize the keyboard input and wait for the scan in a while loop to read the scanner input. I am able to read the characters but the keyboard does not return the barcode as is printed. It returns 0's in between characters and also misses some characters. So, it is not consistent on what it reads each time. have any of you had a similar problem, your help is appreciated.

Thanks
PR

Hi,

Have you worked it out yet?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,365 Views)

PR hasn't been on the forums since 2008.  I doubt he is still following.

If you have a particular issue, ask about it in a new thread.  But first search the forums because there are many other threads that discuss keyboard wedge type scanners.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,359 Views)

Hi there,

I just got the VI and I have aquestion: is there any way to have the string control active, when I run the VI ? As it is now, I must click it, in order to make it ready to get the data I read from the barcode.

thanks !

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,886 Views)

Try setting the focus of the control, that should do it.

Search the VI server properties and methods until you've found it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,881 Views)