LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB/Serial Drivers and App Builder Installer Questions...are drivers included in the Installer with the LV runtime engine?

Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with how drivers and all are treated with applications distributed with App Builder, used to create a stand alone, full install of app and labview engine with Installer.

What has happened  is, my application was created using the NI branded USB to RS232...and USB to RS485, and they work great.

On the application when running..you fire it up, it finds the USB to serial device, and I have a dropdown that finds the available COM ports to use (along with setting parity, etc).

I've installed on different computers (without previous labview installs) with the installer. They all worked.

The customer has received the installer....and despite us telling them to use the NI branded USB/Serial interfaces..they are trying to work with a different USB/serial cable.

They say the COM ports aren't even showing up when they run the installed application.

So, I'm not sure where to start. Is this a driver issue?  Does the App Builder Installer...install the drivers for the interfaces I was using with it? Is there a way for the person to find and install a driver on their own...or would I have to somehow find out a driver for what they use....then, basically redo the App Builder Installer build...to include that driver with the executable I send back out?

I guess I basically need a better understanding of how drivers for external access/communications are handled when you use App Builder to create a stand alone application complete with the labview runtime engine...and nothing else.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,215 Views)

The main thing is that LV uses VISA to talk to serial port whether native on the machine or from USB dongles that you plug into the computer. It sounds to me like their dongles aren't working.

Can the customer see the ports in the Windows Device Manager? Can they access them through something like hyperterminal? How does your program find the USB/Serial devices?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,204 Views)