LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6229 and MLP08641 Driver-High Performance Microstepping

I'm a new user. I need your help please. We bought the NI USB-6229 BNC and we want to control two stepper motors. One is connected to MLP08641 Driver High Performance Microstepping Driver. http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/stepper/L010150% 20 -% 20MLP08641% 20Users% 20Guide.pdf
The engine is connected to "GND ENGINE, PHASE 4 (-B), PHASE 2 (B), PHASE 3 (-A), PHASE 1 (-A)" and chose the resolution with the board resolution is in the same driver. These are my questions: 1. What should I generate signals to control with Labview + CLOCK, CLOCK, DIRECTION +, DIRECTION, ON / OFF +, ON/OFF-? I've seen the examples that come with Labview, but so far no I can control each of these variables. 2. Once generated, Can I use the analog outputs of the NI USB-6229 BNC and connect to the engine driver, and do I use the NI USB-6229 BNC to extract information from Labview? So far I've only used to read information that is in their entries 3. How can I control my second engine? PJN29ED18C is the C4557-60003, one that is mostly used by HP to guide the carousel of the printers of inkjet, but we want to use it in a small process in the workshop. http://www.feedroller.com/Store/images/c4557-60003_n.png
Your help will be invaluable. We have spent much time on this, but we could not, so we decided to write. Beforehand, thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,468 Views)

Hi Saen,

USB DAQ is not the optimal solution for stepper motor control. However, it is usually possible. The first thing you need to do is fully understand the command signals that your drive accepts. The vast majority of stepper drives receive digital signals and use a handful of different control lines. Usually, there is a “Step” input which takes a digital pulse train, and advances the motor by the number of steps asserted on that line. There are usually several other lines that control things like direction, and there is also usually a master shutdown.

I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to try and control your motor with the analog lines on the card, if not downright impossible. However, it comes down to you understanding what types of signals your drive accepts.

Also, the inputs that you listed seem a lot like an encoder to me, and not a motor control signal. Are you sure that those inputs are not from an encoder?

Wes Pierce
Principal Engineer
Pierce Controls
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,450 Views)

Thank you for your suggestions,

Yes. How I said, this motor is connected to MLP08641 Driver High Performance Microstepping Driver. I know that to use the USB-6229 BNC is not the better solution for stepper motor control, but right now we don’t have more budgets. Any possible solution or suggestions will be welcome.  Thanks!

http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/stepper/L010150%20-%20MLP08641%20Users%20Guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,433 Views)

Hi Saen,

A quick look at the manual tells me that you need to send digital pulses to the Clock input of your device.  To change the direction of the motor, change the state of the digital line going into the Direction input.

We are happy to help with your application, but please keep in mind that this is a National Instruments forum.  If you need specific support for your Anaheim Automation drive, I suggest you contact Anaheim Automation.

Message Edited by Wes P on 03-12-2010 10:32 AM
Wes Pierce
Principal Engineer
Pierce Controls
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,417 Views)