cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6003 and thorlabs scanning galvo system

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, 

I purchased the USB 6003 DAQ card for operating thorlabs' scanning glavo (GVS012). 

But, when I apply the analog output voltage signals to the driver board, it doesn't work, the current was zero on the power supply. 

I was wondering if the DAQ card is proper to operate the system. The required spec is as follows. 

- Dual bipolar -10 to10V DAC analog output channel(differential),
- DAC clocking frequency higher than 20kS/S, higher sampling frequencies like 100kS/s are recommended. 

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,460 Views)

Compare it to the specs!

The USB-6003 is only capable of 5000 samples/second per channel.  And is not differential analog output.

Message 2 of 8
(3,445 Views)

Hi minjcha,

But, when I apply the analog output voltage signals to the driver board, it doesn't work,

Does the USB-6003 output the expected voltage on its AO pins? Did you verify using a DMM?

I was wondering if the DAQ card is proper to operate the system. The required spec is as follows.

- Dual bipolar -10 to10V DAC analog output channel(differential),
- DAC clocking frequency higher than 20kS/S, higher sampling frequencies like 100kS/s are recommended.

The USB-6003 can output ±10V on its both AO channels.

It only offers 5kHz samplerate, simultanously: why do you think you need more than this?

Even though ThorLabs asks for "differential analog input" it shows schematics with -Input connected to Ground pins (see page 14 of the manual!), so the output of the USB-6003 should be ok.

I guess you also wired the ExternalEnable input of your device?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 8
(3,429 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Does the USB-6003 output the expected voltage on its AO pins? Did you verify using a DMM?

--> Yes, I connected AO pins to the servo driver board. Also, I connected my - input to AO Ground. 

But, What is the External Enable input? Should I connect this to my DAQ? 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author minjcha

Hi minjcha,

Yes, I connected AO pins to the servo driver board. Also, I connected my - input to AO Ground.

And did you verify the correct voltage using a DMM or similar?

But, What is the External Enable input? Should I connect this to my DAQ?

The ExternalEnable is (probably) explained in the manual to your servo driver. (Atleast it should…)

Most motor drivers I used so far need some "Enable" signal to actually power the motor. This is used as (simple) safety feature. Most often that Enable is a simple boolean signal…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 5 of 8
(3,410 Views)

Hi GerdW, 

I have tested the voltage using DMM and it gives the correct voltage that I coded. Also, I enabled the driver board but didn't work.. 

Do you have any idea on how the analog voltage signal looks like? I am currently generating the analog output voltage like this (-10 to 10V, increment by 1 V, pausing 1sec in between). -10 V, pause 1sec, -9V, pause 1sec, -8V, pause 1sec,..........0V, pause 1sec,......... 10V pause 1sec. 

Thanks,

Minjeong

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,402 Views)

Hi minjcha,

Also, I enabled the driver board but didn't work..

What does the manufacturer of your servo driver say about this problem?

Do you have any idea on how the analog voltage signal looks like?

How should I know? I don't have access to your setup…

Yu should know the answer from your own experiment: I expect some voltage steps as described by you!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,389 Views)

Thanks!

I was able to run the system. The problem was the power supply. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,372 Views)