LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT HELP: TROUBLE CONNECT DG535 PULSE GENERATOR TO DAQ

To all,

I am very new to labview and thus would appreciate your help/patience.

I have a Stanford Research Systems MODEL DG535 Four Channel Digital Delay/Pulse Generator.

I need to do the following:

1. Connect the DG535 to DAQ USBX Series 6341 board.

2.  Have my labview program to wait for a recieve a signal from the DG535 and then intiate data acquisition at that specefic rate. 

Can you please help me figure out what I need to connect to the DAQ and (after that is complete) how to accomplish my goal in labview?

Thanks

gcass

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,588 Views)

You must also be very new to instrument control. That has a GPIB interface and I don't see how you could control it with a DAQ card.

Message 2 of 4
(2,585 Views)

I think gcass has a DG535 pulse generator whose output is connected to the analog (digital) input of the DAQ.

Let's start with the basics...  Can you generate a wavefore out of the pulse generator.  Have you seen the signal using an oscilloscope?

Have you ever used MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer).  This is to try some basic stuff using the DAQ to acquire the waveform.

Are you acquiring an analog or digital signal?  (I would have to go back to look at the OP to see if the DAQ model was mentionned.)

Message 3 of 4
(2,578 Views)

You will need to create / modify a cable from your pulse generator (BNC connector to DAQ terminals).   Connect your ground / shield to signal ground of the DAQ and the signal to the analog input (unless you are using it as a digital IO signal). 

The pulse generator can accept a trigger:

Triggering

The DG535 can be triggered internally from 1 mHz to 1 MHz with four-digit frequency resolution. External, single-shot and burst mode triggers are also supported. For power control applications, the DG535 can be synchronized to the AC line. An optional trigger inhibit input allows you to enable or disable triggering with a TTL input signal.

You may be able to use one of the Digital IO lines (from the DAQ) to trigger the DG535, since the D-IO from the DAQ has 8 hardware-timed up to 1 MHz.

The first portion of the exercise would be to generate a signal, make sure there is a signal, wire it to the DAQ and then use MAX to see the waveform.  Then implement the rest (code, trigger, etc).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,572 Views)