From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP Normal and Multicast Not working on Linux RT based NI RT Systems

Solved!
Go to solution

Spex,

Thank you!, Thank You and Thank you!...

The issue with the sbRIO-9636 and the cRIO-9073 are odd as UDP Multicast Send on the RT does NOT post any errors.

Only on attempting to receive data on Win7 (I tried 2 different Win7 machines - that are reliable to me) The UDP port Open runs without-error...

...The UDP read on Win7 simply timesout: Error 56....nothing ever comes out. I suppose I can run Wireshark on Win7, but I suspect it will prove there is nothing coming across from the RT systems.

Thanks again,

I also understand that others on the back-lines of NI reads these posts, and sometimes need to get a taste of the frustration and heat you front line people go thru.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 29
(2,588 Views)

I also understand that others on the back-lines of NI reads these posts, and sometimes need to get a taste of the frustration and heat you front line people go thru.

Technically, you would probably consider me more on the 'back-lines' than front-line.  I'm a product manager, not a support engineer.  I do like to take an active role in helping people solve their challenges with RIO hardware, but I have to be careful not to sign up for work that I don't have time to do, such as setting up and testing hardware in many cases.

I'm looking forward to the post from the front-line AE that owns this post to determine if they can help out.  

Regards,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 29
(2,577 Views)

I ran the UDP Multicast example on a sbRIO-9636 as described in Jack's post (Sender on the sbRIO, Receiver on Windows 7 machine) with both DHCP and static IP with no issues. I had the same software set installed on my sbRIO as well, minus IMAQdx, as seen in the below screenshot. I'm not sure where the timeout is being introduced, as my hardware setup should be the same. I also used LabVIEW 2014 SP1 on my computer, in case you are using LabVIEW 2014.

sbriosoftware.png

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 29
(2,537 Views)

dia...

Thanks. I will try again...in a few days.

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 29
(2,534 Views)

Daniel and Jack,

Do you guys mind swapping screenshots of your UDP open functions or any other mechanism that shows how you are configuring/setting IP addresses and options for the UDP Multicast functions?  If this is a configuration/addressing issue, I'd like to get the comm settings out on the table for the working and non-working setups.

Thanks,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 29
(2,516 Views)

Spex,

I used the default configuration for the example, as shown in the below screenshots for sender and receiver.

Multicast setup 1.png

Multicast setup 2.png

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29
(2,478 Views)

Simple UDP works....Will try multicast.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 29
(2,439 Views)

Well Multicast does not work...Odd Simple UDP Does, so it's not a firewall issue (Mine are off entirely)....Maybe I've got the ports wrong...my eyes are blurry on this now.

UDP Multicast Error.png

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29
(2,435 Views)

Revering the codes so the RT MCast UDP Sends - throws the following error 54....from my recollection, this is what one gets back when VxWorks RT did not support UDP Multicast.

UDP Multicast RT Send Error.pngNow reversing the code so the RT SENDS UDP Multicast...DOES throw an error. From my recollection, Error 54 is what you get then UDP is not supported.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 29
(2,426 Views)

Jack,

You have some extra configuration on your sender that didn't exist in my example. What happens if you replicate the code that I posted in my screenshots for the sender? Does the behavior change?

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 29
(2,396 Views)