LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical digital data uses and how to consume them

I am still learning Labview, thus the question. I have a process that I need to monitor. The process has numerous outputs from a PLC. Most are digital signals to control a valve. Some are signals to represent binary to decimal. My main questions is about digital data collection and using the digital on/off signals.

As I have experimented with the digital data collection it seems that the data layout is built more for monitoring data communications between chips - like watching busses on a motherboard. Example:

flycast_0-1623068738690.png

I need to detect changes in a single column of data in the above example.

Am I better off collecting the data as "one channel for each line" or "one channel for all lines"? Am I better off converting the digital data to boolean? What is the recommended way or design pattern for collecting digital data and using that digital data for on/off control signals?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(687 Views)

@flycast wrote:

I am still learning Labview, thus the question. I have a process that I need to monitor. The process has numerous outputs from a PLC. Most are digital signals to control a valve. Some are signals to represent binary to decimal. My main questions is about digital data collection and using the digital on/off signals.

As I have experimented with the digital data collection it seems that the data layout is built more for monitoring data communications between chips - like watching busses on a motherboard. Example:

I need to detect changes in a single column of data in the above example.

Am I better off collecting the data as "one channel for each line" or "one channel for all lines"? Am I better off converting the digital data to boolean? What is the recommended way or design pattern for collecting digital data and using that digital data for on/off control signals?

I am not sure I understand your question completely... More detail on what exactly you are trying to do would help.

Are you having difficulty monitoring one bit for changes when you have to read an entire word/byte?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(652 Views)