From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typedef update on second monitor

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I just putting the finishing touches on my measurement tool and noticed something weird. I have some Strict-Typedefs and when I change them I usually get the option to update it in the VIs the Typedef is used.

Normal scenario: The update window pops up and I can choose what to change.

BUT: when the VI I want to update is on the Second Monitor the window does not pop up. It catches the focus of Labview (I cant do anything else), but I cant modify it.

The first few times I quit LV via the Taskmanager until I recognized, that the window is somewhere and can be closed by pressing ESC.

Is there a setting for second monitor in LV or is this a bug?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,344 Views)

Do you have a second monitor attached? Do they align neatly in the display setup or is there some space in between. Usually when you open a window in LabVIEW it will try to move windows such that they are at least barely visible on at least one monitor if they would otherwise be outside of any active monitor. Unfortunately that can fail if the monitor configuration changed after LabVIEW was started up.

Also “barely” can mean that its border is just very barely visible at one of the monitor borders! With normal VIs you can usually select the appropriate icon in the taskbar with the right mouse button and select Move and then use the cursor keys to move the window within the visible monitors. For dialogs that doesn’t usually work as Windows won’t have the Move command visible in the popup menu or at least not enabled.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,313 Views)

If the window is visible in the taskbar, you can try to select it there, then press Alt+space, then M, then an arrow on the keyboard, then move the mouse. The procedure will make the window attach to the mouse pointer. That works for windows that has been placed so that they are outside of the screen.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 3 of 10
(2,300 Views)

The feature you describe is called Review and Update from Type Def. Dialog Box

What version of LabVIEW are you using?  I'm guessing 2016 or older.

I have seen this problem many times and it is caused by LabVIEW not handling the Windows monitor scaling settings.  You probably have two different sized monitors with different scaling settings.  LV cannot keep track of which window is on which monitor and at which scale!

Set both monitors to scale to 100% and I bet the problem goes away.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,259 Views)

Its LV17, the two monitors are different. The PXI uses Win7. 

What do you mean with scale to 100%?

The only option I found was in "Appearance and Personalization -> Display". There was the option to size the icons to 100%, but thats too small for my eyes. I would rather not change display settings to accommodate buggy UI behavior. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,198 Views)

I found this post where the same issue is described. 

Since I know the behavior now, I have to remember to edit my typedefs on the main screen

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,195 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author s.h._tech

"Alt+space, then M, then an arrow on the keyboard, then move the mouse."

That's language dependant, but if you have english windows it's correct. Try it out if your locale is different (e.g. it's alt+space then F for Swedish windows) 

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 7 of 10
(2,177 Views)

I havent thought of moving the window with the keyboard. This works.

Now I have a solution if I forget to put the Vi on the mainsreen.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,158 Views)

I always use the Win-Key + left/right arrow keys when windows are "off screen". Happens more often that you think when moving laptops between office, home, and meeting rooms. And not just LabVIEW.

image.png

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 9 of 10
(2,134 Views)

It should also work to r-click the taskbar and "Cascade windows".

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,115 Views)