From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type Definition interpreted as Strict?

Hi!

I had developed some code in LabVIEW 8.6 around a "Type Def" custom control.  Contained within this Type Def is an Enumerater control with which I'd like to be able to manipulate the Strings[] property at runtime within the VI that consumes the control.  The VI in question has an array of these cluster controls that are linked and auto-updated from the Type Def.

Updating the Strings[] property appeared to work fine in LabVIEW 8.6, but now throws an error when trying to perform the same operation in LabVIEW 2009.  I recieve this error:

"Error 1082 occured at Property Node (arg 1) in .... Possible reason(s): LabVIEW: Operation not valid for strict type definition instance."

I checked the control, and it is set to "Type Def" not "Strict Type Def."  Is there anyway around this w/o breaking the link to the Type Def?

Could I have changed something to the control since I upgraded to 2009 that is now making updates to the String[] property not possible?

Thanks for your input!

-Nic

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,770 Views)

Hmm... upon disconnecting the link to the type def, I still recieve an error at the same spot that reads:

"Error 1073 occured at Property Node (arg 1) in ... Possible reason(s): LabVIEW: This property is writable only when the VI is in edit mode, or this method is available only when the VI is in edit mode."

Maybe I should change it to some other type of drop-down control and try it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,766 Views)
Switching the control from Enumerator to Text Ring fixed the problem.  I guess it makes sense that Enumerator's aren't allowed to change at run time sense they are typically tied to Case Structures.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,758 Views)
Not being able to write to the Strings[] property of an enum at runtime is not specific to LabVIEW 2009. It's been with LabVIEW for a very long time.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,743 Views)