LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tx and Rx pins on sbRIO 9623

I would like to connect a ESP8266EX module to sbRIO 9623 but the I am not sure about the connections. Do I need additional module to interface them?

I am thinking about using TCP to communicate between sbrio and pc with sbrio as server side and PC as client side to indicate a emergency signal from sbrio on PC

Thanks 

GOkul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,362 Views)

Hello GoKu25,

the ESP8266EX has an SPI interface this is shown in the manual chapter 4, then you can connet the SPI lines to the RMC connector on the sbRIO and read out the device with the SPI/I2C API. To simple connect the interface, the NI-9694 can be used.

similar post

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,306 Views)

Why not just use the built-in ethernet of the sbRIO? The second option would be to put a WiFi router/adapter with an ethernet output and plug that into the sbRIO - I just used one of those WiFi extenders.

I was curious about the ESP8266 as a low-cost WiFi module for sbRIO but implementing the SPI and/or protocol just didn't seem like it was worth the effort. Using the built-in ethernet port and VISA functions is much easier.

If you did decide to go ahead with it - I would check the voltage levels required/used by the ESP8266 match the digital IO of the sbRIO and then look at some of the Arduino libraries for the 8266 to see the commands to configure and open a connection.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 3 of 4
(3,292 Views)

@Sam_Sharp: Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I am facing a similar scenario where I have two of sbRIO-9607 and I have to wirelessly transmit information between them. 

I wonder whether the approach mentioned below is viable!

1. Use the built-in ethernet of the sbRIO and connect each sbRIO ethernet to a WiFi adapter. Then, connect the 2 WiFI adapters to each other wirelessly (which I am not sure of yet). Use shared network variable to transmit TDMS data from one device to another device.
  2. Use the USB port of the sbRIO and connect each sbRIO ethernet to an USB WiFi adapter. Then, connect the 2 WiFI adapters to each other wirelessly (which I am not sure of yet). Use shared network variable to transmit TDMS data from one device to another device.

Your insights will be highly valuable.

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,383 Views)