From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off "Run Continuous" in VI

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a complex VI that needs to be run multiple times to iterate a solution. Right now, I hit the "Run Continuous" button and wait until it converges to a solution. I would like to be able to turn off the Run Continuous mode once I detect convergence within the program. Is this possible? I was looking at a "This VI" ref to an invoke node, but do not see an option here.

I don't want to trigger a "Stop" as I want the program to finish it's current iteration normally.

Yes, I could make a calling program, but there are too many variables etc. that would need to be wired into the connector pane.

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,193 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author waynep

Hi,

Is there a reason to not enclose the whole vi in a while loop and use a stop button to stop the loop? The loop will finish its current iteration when the stop button is triggered.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,182 Views)

@TCChun wrote:

Hi,

Is there a reason to not enclose the whole vi in a while loop and use a stop button to stop the loop? The loop will finish its current iteration when the stop button is triggered.

Well, let's put it this way:

There is every reason to stop using the "Run Continuously" button as your solution, and every reason to use a loop, instead.  The "Run Continuously" button is only a debugging tool.  If used on anything other than a VI with the simplest architecture, it could lead to some unexpected results.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,176 Views)

Yes, that is possible with my "converged" indicator stopping the loop. I will probably do that if there is no way to just turn off the Run Continuous mode from within the program.

The reason I am not doing that is I have a mode of operation that only needs to run once, but I suppose I could just stop the while loop at 1 run in that event.

But, I have become curious now whether it is possible to do what I asked. Perhaps, I may learn something following that path...

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,172 Views)

If you need to run continuously until some condition is met you should use a while loop and exit on that condition. You should not be using the "Run Continuously" button.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,159 Views)

Thanks for knocking that dumb idea out of my head -- that is what I needed. I have already implemented the while loop and it (of course) works fine. I am not sure why I didn't do this initially as I have done the same thing many times in the past. Sometimes your thinking can get stuck in a certain direction and it takes some prodding to reset.

Another obvious reason to make the program self-contained is if I wanted to make an executable.

Message 6 of 9
(2,143 Views)

You can turn of "Run Continuous" in VI by select file then Vi property then window appearance then select Dialog then OK.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,591 Views)

@binh1959 wrote:

You can turn of "Run Continuous" in VI by select file then Vi property then window appearance then select Dialog then OK.

I think you misinterpreted the original intent of the post, which was to stop continuous running, not hide the button.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,587 Views)

Yes, it can be done.  But I don't recommend it.

fes.png

Note: You can do crazy things with this.  Like faking that a running VI is not running; then edit the running VI (usually crashes LabVIEW).

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,564 Views)