cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to use my computer LabView code to control 4 LED's

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm a student working on a project at CU Boulder and I need a little bit of help. I'm kind of new to LabView but, I created a code that will create a random number, which turns on one of four LED's, and then, that LED will turn off after a slide bar (accelerometer) senses a value greater than 5 (this value will change after some accelerometer data). After this process, the random number generator will generate a new number for a new light. I'm just wondering how to tell the computer which LED icon indicates which real-life LED. Is there a way to hook up my LED's without changing my LabView code? Do I need to create a digital output DAQ assistant? Please see the attached labview code and hopefully you can help me out. We've had major problems trying to get our accelerometer to read a constant logical value and have just run into our LED problem.

Thanks, Zack

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,777 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author zaal3595

Hi Zack,

your VI is kind of Rube-Goldberg award nominee... Smiley Wink

"how to tell the computer which LED icon indicates which real-life LED."

Well, you have to decide where to "hook" those "real-life" LEDs. When you have made your decision you'll need some hardware driver to switch the LEDs. A DAQ assistent may be a good choice when you use NI hardware. Otherwise use the driver coming with your hardware...

"Is there a way to hook up my LED's without changing my LabView code?"

No. "Real-life" LEDs need real hardware drivers...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,774 Views)

If you're going to simplify that VI, might as well remove duplicate code:

Making Lights Work simplified.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,762 Views)

GerdW

Thank you for your help your code was a lot simplier than mine and has really helped me continue my project by making the necessary adjustments. I ended up using digital channels off a DAQ to control the voltage for the lights.

Zack

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,727 Views)