From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to take oscilloscope voltage data

@billko wrote:

My best advice is to find someone who knows LabVIEW well and go over the Oscope manual and try to figure this out.  😞

Better advice is to find somebody who understands how oscilloscopes work.  From there, programs are fairly simple to do.  You just need to know the step-by-step of how to setup to oscilloscope first.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 31 of 50
(1,451 Views)

The oscilloscope is set-up and working fine, it just can't take data.  You can manually save the output to a flashdrive, but you can't see how the curve changes constantly.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 50
(1,443 Views)

*Save data, it is taking data.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 50
(1,442 Views)

@sahurley wrote:

The oscilloscope is set-up and working fine, it just can't take data.  You can manually save the output to a flashdrive, but you can't see how the curve changes constantly.

Do you want to stream the waveform to your computer and save all that data?

Or do you want to take a single sweep, perform measurments (voltage, freq, etc) on that catpure and save the waverform plus measurment data? 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 50
(1,435 Views)

I want to stream the waveform onto the computer and save all the data.

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 50
(1,424 Views)

@sahurley wrote:

Oh my, that is a lot easier said than done, even for experienced LabVIEW programmers.

That's a lot of data delivered at a high rate.

I would suggest you start with the "Producer Consumer" architecture and TDMS streaming.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 50
(1,419 Views)

Would the other way still give the voltage values versus time?

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 50
(1,414 Views)

@sahurley wrote:

Would the other way still give the voltage values versus time?

That depends on your scope. I have not used that exact one but I have used LeCroy Waverunners. On these scopes you can set up 8 measurements for the scope to take on a waveform ( Volts P-P, Freq, Risetime, Slew rate, etc) . So what I do is set up the scope to take the measurements I want, do a single sweep and transfer the measurements to a spread sheet and a screen actpure of the waveform to my computer.

Would that work for you?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 50
(1,411 Views)

Unfortunately, I don't think that'll work for this because I need to have it record how many pulses I'm getting over a course of (around) 8 hours.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 50
(1,407 Views)

@sahurley wrote:

Ahh.  You are trying to use an oscilloscope for a long-term data logger which is not at all what they are designed for.  Your scope only has a limited amount of very fast memory and it is inherently designed to fill that memory based on its own internal triggering system.  Since it is trigger-based it is a very poor choice for collecting and storing data seamlessly and since it has no real-time clock, you will need to do all the coding required to "connect the dots" and figure out how to relate the data to real world time units.  

Check out this Tektronix FAQ for more info on the limits of using a scope this way.:  http://www.tek.com/support/faqs/can-i-use-my-oscilloscope-do-data-logging

Is there some reason you're using a scope for this rather than a DAQ card? 

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 40 of 50
(1,402 Views)