LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to move VI from one computer to another w/ all sub VI's

Hi all

New to the community, LabView, and computer programming; needless to say, I need some help. I'm trying to move a VI from one computer to another, and this VI has a number of subVI's used in it. When I tried to move the VI itself, I'm not able to run it on the new computer because the subVIs aren't there; in their place are a number of gray question marks. I figure I need to go find the subVI's on the other computer and move them over as well, but (a) the computers I'm working on are so disorganized and jumbled that I can barely find anything and (b) there's a lot of subVIs that need moving, and doing an individual search for each would take forever. Is there a way I can move the VI over while automoatically taking the subVIs it uses with it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,848 Views)

Building a source distribution is your best option.

If you don't have the application builder, you can also do a "save for previous" and keep the same version. Be warned that the resulting folder hierachy arrangement might be unreasonable. Similarly, you can also do a "save as....duplicate hierarchy to a new location".

There are two types of missing VIs. 

1. Your own subVIs
  2. subVIs that are part of a diver package.

What is missing in your case? As a first step you should install all the required drvers on the new PC (e.g. DAQmx)

Message 3 of 16
(3,827 Views)

The simple solution is the source distribution under the build specifications.

Buy you really should clean up your directory structures.  If you can't quickly find a VI, it is next to useless.  Then I highly recommend getting a source control software to maintain your projects.  Something like Tortois SVN works very well (and is free).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 16
(3,816 Views)

It's my own subVIs that I'm looking for... of course, I use the term "my own" lightly. I'm doing an internship right now and the people I'm working for dropped me into this project with no instruction or guidance, thus explaining why all their files are such a mess. I tried to begin with the source distrubution, but i couldn't find the "build specifications" menu at all. The NI link says to "expand my computer"... am i just going to windows explorer at that point, or what does that mean?? Also, the Labview on the computer I'm transferring FROM is LabView 7.1, and i'm transferring it to Labview 2013. On the computer with 2013, i have application builder, but i don't have it on the LabView 7.1 computer. The real kicker is that neither one of these computers have network access 🙂

I also tried using "save for preivous" and it created a folder of my VI, and when i tried to transfer that folder over to the new computer and run the VI, it elminated the gray question mark problem but now says the subVIs are not executable.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,784 Views)

LabVIEW versions before 8.x had no project explorer, so you resorted to making llbs to make your code "portable"  Just be forwarned: Be prepared for a whole mess of problems, both obvious and very subtle.  Especially if different Windows versions are also involved.  Especially if VISA and/or DAQmx is involved.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,782 Views)

Awesome.... There's definitely VISA invovled. The old computer has XP and the new comp has 7... hope seems to be fading fast. I could try to figure out how to make llbs, but that would still require me to find all of the subVIs, which I still can't do... see any way out of this?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,763 Views)

LLBs won't make a difference. Please open the top-level VI, press the broken run button, and see what it is complaining about.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,756 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

LLBs won't make a difference. Please open the top-level VI, press the broken run button, and see what it is complaining about.

Sorry, I wasn't addressing that part.  I was just letting the OP know how we did it in the old days before we the project explorer.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,750 Views)

It gives a list of the items that are causing errors; on that list are all of the subVIs in the program. As for the description of the errors, it say that each subVI is non executable.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,749 Views)