From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to compare array of integers and get an array of Booleans to display based on comparison

Solved!
Go to solution

@rolfk wrote:

As to coerced returning the limit despite it being excluded, that is very logical for floating points values. What is the logically correct next smaller value to return in that case? The Limit - Machine Epsilon? Or the Limit - 1% of it? Or something totally different? The easiest is just to coerce the range simply always to the limits and don't try to be smart about well or not subtracting/adding something if the according limit is excluded.

Sure, it makes sense for floats, and it's clearly documented, but that doesn't mean I got didn't get bit by assuming it coerces to in range and got an array out of bounds error the first time I tried it 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(233 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

There are many reasons for the function to be like it is.

The default of not including the upper limit is for mathematical reason quite correct. That statistics don't always seem to favor what we flawed humans consider common sense is another story, but there are good reasons for this.

Yes I also usually use this function with both limits included, except for floating point values where I usually don't want that value included.

And if you exclude one of the ends you don't need to use different constants if you stack two of those nodes to get two consecutive ranges. If both limits are included you could get values that belong to both ranges.

As to coerced returning the limit despite it being excluded, that is very logical for floating points values. What is the logically correct next smaller value to return in that case? The Limit - Machine Epsilon? Or the Limit - 1% of it? Or something totally different? The easiest is just to coerce the range simply always to the limits and don't try to be smart about well or not subtracting/adding something if the according limit is excluded.

Most of these choices are not arbitrary but done after days and days of debating in the development team. And if an issue is controversial, the mathematical correct way almost always wins over the arbitrary human common sense.

Of course they aren't arbitrary, but 98% of the time I only use this function singly, without stacking.  I think most people here do the same thing, so I was curious what led the dev team to believe they would most likely be used in a stacked way?  To me it seems to be defaulting to an almost corner use case.

It is interesting that you find that you usually don't include the limits when using FP numbers.  I do the opposite.  What is the reasoning behind this?  Maybe I am going about it wrong.

And the reason for the naming of the "String to Decimal Value" and it's reverse - let's not even go there.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(216 Views)