From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting "error generating preview" in Installer

I used the FPGA deploy folder in the 2013 installer DVDs. I no longer have that error showing up in my exe build, but now I have some things with even longer filepaths....

<Call Chain>Error 7 occurred at AB_Engine_HandleLinkErrors.vi -> AB_Engine_Update_Source_from_Linker.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:CalculateDependencies.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:CalculateDependencies.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build_from_Wizard.vi -> AB_UI_Frmwk_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_UI_FRAMEWORK.vi -> AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi -> AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi.ProxyCaller

I have never seen this before, but I have two similar references in my log file. Before I was being directed toward the missing FPGA file. I wonder how many toolkits I'll have to install to make it build and install? I have not used any FPGA tools in this code ever....

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(1,640 Views)

Yes, installing the evaluation version of the FPGA Deployment Option from the install discs solved my issue.  My guess is that this missing typedef (nirviPiFifoType_MemoryType.ctl) from this toolkit is referenced deep inside one of the 3rd party or NI vi libraries that I am using in my project.  I first tried locating that typedef in my project, but did not have any luck.  It is very frustrating that I had to spend 1.5 days on this problem, but hopefully this solution can save others some time.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(1,633 Views)

Try more like almost a week off and on mingled among other duties, but it's quickly coming to a head. After removing all the file constants that I could find (this is a VERY old program)... it now gave me a missing library item that i was able to simpy eliminate from the project. Waiting to see where I am now... it's still very slow indicating there are other problems... <sigh>

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(1,627 Views)

Hello all,

We discovered an additional case that can cause this error. Please see this KB for steps on how to replace a VI to fix this error

If you copy the attached file to Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2013\vi.lib\AppBuilder\Engine\ and replace the file there with the same name, you should be able to build an installer.

Please let me know if that works.

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments  

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(1,588 Views)

Just checking and saying I am having the same issue as everyone else.  I am on 2013 f2.  The "fix" Jeff-P posted did fix the issue but updating to f2 did not. 

Lukin
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(1,574 Views)

To clarify, the fix I posted will be included in any future LabVIEW 2013 patch or service pack, so it will not be necessary to manually replace the file after that.

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(1,567 Views)

Hello I moved from 2012 to 2013 and I am getting the same error about the NI System Components missing.

I have installed the latest patch and it happens all the time. I created a new project with one vi that has only one indicator and I still get the same error. It creates the executable but it asks for the NI System Components when the Labview real time 2013 is included. 

I have tried everything talked about in this post and others does any one know of a solution. I'll appreciate the help

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(1,466 Views)

Hi Bertha,

Did you try following the steps in the KnowledgeBase Article I linked above and replacing the file in vi.lib with the file I attached above? That should fix the issue, let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock 

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(1,441 Views)

I'm sorry I got confused with the patches. I have a 64 bit computer but I have labview 32 bit installed. So I installed the 32 bit patch instead of the 64 thinking it referenced to the labview version. So when I had tried everything I installed the 64 bit patch too and it started working. Thank you for the reply

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(1,426 Views)

Where do I find these log files? What names would I look for/

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,385 Views)