From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles with installing latest LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

while trying to install the latest 64-bit version of LabVIEW (2020) using NI Package Manager 20.1.0 on a PC with the latest WIN 10 operating system, after accepting all the licence agreements a problem was encountered - a message "The path is not of a legal form" appeared and the installation cannot continue. Neither online nor offline installation package worked.

I performed this several times as a clean installation after the previous version was removed and the registry was cleaned, no way out of this problem was found.

The same procedure worked on another computer without any troubles.

Does anybody have an advice?

Thanks in advance,

Elo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,031 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author elousak

The Good News is that it appears that the process was aborted before it even started, which means there is little or nothing to "undo".

I have no experience installing 64-bit LabVIEW, but have done probably at least 100 installations of 32-bit LabVIEW, including several dozen in the last 3 years.  Initially in the NIPM era, I also had multiple problems with stupid (incorrect) Error Messages, which seemed to be caused by NIPM "Learning Issues".

To fix this, I started installing one element at a time.

1. First, start NIPM and install only LabVIEW.  No Modules or Toolkits, no Device Drivers (some may get installed even if you don't ask for them -- this is also an NIPM "feature").  Deselect all "Additional Features" (or whatever the last section is called) and then choose only those you know you will want.  Accept licenses, let installation work, reboot.
  2. Assuming this works (and it should), run it again, add a Module or Toolkit that you know you need, again no Drivers, minimal "Additionals", install and reboot.
  3. Once Modules and Toolkits are installed, add minimal Driver sets.  You can always add Drivers later as the need develops.

This usually works.  If it fails at some point, you will probably want to remove all NI software.  A safe way to do this has been posted on the Web and also here on the Forums -- if you need to do a removal and can't find the instructions, come back here and ask.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 8
(3,005 Views)

Dear Bob,

thank you for advice, it seems be working. Fortunately, in my very particular case it was enough to install the LabVIEW first, then all the rest of modules and packages worked as expected. Thus, only two reboots were needed.

Perhaps, this knowledge could be passed to the general public of LabVIEW users as well, apparently I am not alone having this problem... Especially, the latest version is problematic - I've been using previous versions for many years without any complications during the installation.

Regards,

Elo

P.S.

Almost every time I encounter a hassle, it is of a software origin. In this context I always wonder why the software engineers are so overpaid? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,959 Views)

@elousak wrote:

Almost every time I encounter a hassle, it is of a software origin. In this context I always wonder why the software engineers are so overpaid? 🙂

The skill and efforts that have gone in to creating LabVIEW, a very powerful programming paradigm for acquiring data from sensors, doing analysis, providing plots, controlling hardware, etc., and allowing parallel processing (without any hassle) requires Sottware Engineers of the highest calibre.  I, for one, certainly couldn't do it!  I have no idea how "overpaid" the Software Engineers who have created, maintain, and enhanced LabVIEW over the decades, but I'm very grateful for their efforts!  It allows me to earn my (not so overpaid) salary ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,902 Views)

Dear Bob,

it has not been meant as a kind of reproach to skilled software experts, but just an expression of my almost general experience with many commercially available software I frequently use in my practice.

I know a lot of too self-confident information engineers whose quality of work is not as perfect as they declare.

On the other hand, the hardware I usually utilize, works for many years without any problem.

I did not intend to offend anyone who does his/her work in accordance with the highest standards.

With respectful regards,

Elo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,876 Views)

Hi, Elo.

I remember my first experience watching Visual Studio be installed.  All Microsoft code, about 6-8 years ago, before it had "exploded" in size, no special external hardware drivers, and it still took at least an hour.  LabVIEW includes links to non-NI platforms and devices (including links to Microsoft Office, Matlab, and a slew of hardware devices), so it is a minor miracle when it installs perfectly the first time ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,865 Views)

Dear Bob,

I tried installing the latest version using IS0 File, but failed. I tried your solution to install labview 32bit alone still the error exists. My error says

RiyazAli_1-1609653169627.png

I tried online installation too, but nothing works. Also labview runtime engine 7.1.1. does not get configured with my system. I am trying different many options from past week but unsuccesful. Please suggest me solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,608 Views)

The "Error Message" you saw is misleading -- it means "Something went wrong during NIPM's attempt to install some part of LabVIEW -- it is probably an internal NIPM Bug, but we don't want to admit it."

If you are new to LabVIEW, you should ideally have someone with LabVIEW experience install it for you (I have done many installations for students).  If you do want to do it for yourself, you should take the following steps (which have worked for me fairly consistently):

1. Start with a PC with no National Instruments Software installed.  If you already have a (partial) installation, you need to go into Control Panel and Remove all National Instruments Software.  There is only one safe way to do this -- do a Web Search (or look it up on this Forum, where it has been described several times, including by me) and be sure to follow all the steps.  Do not attempt to edit the Registry or use any third-party "uninstallers" -- you will only "ruin" your Windows 10 system.
  2. I recommend downloading the latest version of the National Instruments Package Manager (NIPM) -- this is the most recent version of the Installer.  Run it and install NIPM.  Once you've done this, run NIPM and use it to install LabVIEW.
  3. Unless your Internet connection is poor, I recommend installing "from the Web" rather than from an ISO -- let NIPM find the files you need.
  4. Install slowly.  Start by installing only LabVIEW.  I would recommend you install the 32-bit, not the 64-bit, version.
  5. Do not install any Drivers until you have installed LabVIEW and the minimum toolkits and modules (possibly none) that you need.  When asked about installing "additional items", install only those you are sure you need now.
  6. Reboot when each Installation Pass finishes.
  7. When LabVIEW, Toolkits, and Modules are installed, install the minimal set of Drivers you will need.  You should include DAQmx, VISA, and MAX (MAX might not show up on the list).  Unless you are using GPIB, you do not need IEEE-488.2.

Bob Schor

Message 8 of 8
(2,589 Views)