cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with "Write waveforms to file"

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble with "Write waveforms to file." Attached is a very simple vi that gives the error message: "Error 4 occured at open file ... LabVIEW: end of file encountered ... NI-488: invalid argument or arguments to function call." 

It gives this message whether I put in a new file name or one that already exists. 

The last part is rather puzzling since I'm not doing anything with GPIB.

I found this KnowledgeBase article, but this is not the same case, since it happens the first time I address the file:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/0576444C8FD4DC0F86256E83007FA540?OpenDocument

This is Windows 7, LV 2013 SP1.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,308 Views)

That error is a little misleading, but basically it means you are not giving the waveform data that it is expecting.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,303 Views)

Thanks for your reply! 

So... what does it expect? I can grab a waveform constant from the palette, put some values in, wire it up, and get the error. Or I can get a waveform from an instrument, same thing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,296 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AllisonAFM

In the examples that ship with LabVIEW there is one that should be useful  Waveform - Write Waveforms to FIle.vi

Message 4 of 6
(3,290 Views)

Ah, found it, thanks. Starting with a functional one and a non-functional one, and working toward the middle, I traced the problem to the Open/Create/Replace. I guess with that in the code, the write function is not actually the first time I address the file-? Anyway, I've got a working bit of code now.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,261 Views)

Glad you got it working!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,238 Views)