From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Labview version creating a Stand-Alone application for Raspberry

Ok, now I'm convinced I need to use OpenCV for my acquisition needs, but still have got some things to ask:

1) Apparently I need to download a NI Vision OpenCV Utilities as read in: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/53072/en/ .Do you know in what way this helps me?

The white paper says it's recommended to have installed the 2015 Vision Acquisition, LabVIEW Real Time 2015 SP1 and Vision Development Module 2015 SP1 buuut LINX uses the 2014 version of Labview..

2) So which version of those Packages do you think I should install so I can deploy my VI: 2014 or 2015?

3) Would you know some example for calling a Python command on Labview? And how I could export some VI variables to the Python code?

Thanks for being so cooperative.

Oscar

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(551 Views)

I haven't played with the NI OpenCV Toolkit, but the Toolkit itself seems to be installable in LabVIEW back to 2012. But don't hurrah to much just yet!

The Toolkit consists of several parts. One is the VI library which you can apparently install in LabVIEW 2012 and higher. The other is a binary shared library module that NI provides for Windows and the NI Linux RT targets. For other platforms you are required to build that yourself. And this binary shared library module links to a binary object module that interfaces to the LabVIEW routines that manage Vision objects. This binary object module is distributed in a few flavors but that doesn't mean that you can automatically generate the necessary shared library module for every possible platform.

For Linux platforms it seems to be available in an x86 and arm-v7 variant for compilation with gcc 4.7 only. So this MIGHT be enough to create the necessary shared library for your Raspberry Pi, but you still need to create the shared library yourself. If your Raspberry development tools use a different GCC version you are most likely out of luck. You can generally not link object modules with a different C compiler than what was used to create them, that is not always strictly true for Visual C, although most times it will break somewhere too, but under GCC this is even less possible.

All that said I think even with serious C programming knowledge, it will be extremely hard to get this Toolkit working for the Raspberry Pi (or any other non-NI embedded device) and maybe even impossible.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(547 Views)

Humm, I see.. It gets more complicated every time ! Hahaha

Can you help me figure out if it's worth it to try and build the shared library myself? If you could answer these questions..

1) How can I check which GCC version is my Raspberry development tool? And which version should they be?

2) The shared library you mentioned is between OpenCV and Labview?

3) I cannot simply create and invoke a DLL acquiring images in the middle of my VI?

4) Do you know of some other way I can try to solve this problem regarding the Vision package from Labview? Or should I just quit Labview for this application altogether?

I'm not afraid to spend lots of time learning how to build the shared library, but don't want to spend all this time and discover it's not possible at all..

Thanks a lot for helping me, sometimes is better to hear a hard truth than a soft lie.. hahah

Oscar

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(539 Views)