From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Backsaving in LV 2016

I am trying to save a project in LV 2016 for LV 2015. I have used file >> save for previous version... a lot in the past, but until recently I was using LV 2012 and 2014. Now I am trying it in LV 2016, and for some reason it saves most of the support VIs, but my top-level VI is nowhere to be found! If I open the newly created LV 2015 project, I can see that the Main VI it links to is still located in the 2016 folder. Is this a known issue?

temp.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,436 Views)

Not a good guess but it is all I can offer...

Channel wires changed between 2015 and 2016...  using channel wires?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,428 Views)

Not a channel wire in sight!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,422 Views)

I also found if I open up the Main VI and click save for previous version... (instead of from the project), then LabVIEW becomes unresponsive and crashes.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,381 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

I also found if I open up the Main VI and click save for previous version... (instead of from the project), then LabVIEW becomes unresponsive and crashes.

That sounds like VI that NI should be looking at...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,331 Views)

If I delete some things, sometimes it appears to save ok. I know that's vague, but it is not repeatable. My first thought was to delete all property nodes, and it worked. Then I got a fresh copy from SVN and did the same thing, and it didn't work. The only thing that works every time is to delete the entire block diagram, then it will backsave my Main vi, but of course this is useless.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,323 Views)

What about if you select everything from your Main VI's block diagram, copy it to a new blank VI, then delete your old Main and save the new VI as main instead?

Doing it that way forces it to rebuild all of the connections and links between things so if there's a corruption in the original it wouldn't copy over to the new one...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,316 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

What about if you select everything from your Main VI's block diagram, copy it to a new blank VI, then delete your old Main and save the new VI as main instead?

Doing it that way forces it to rebuild all of the connections and links between things so if there's a corruption in the original it wouldn't copy over to the new one...

I had given up on this for a while, because I was able to upgrade LabVIEW from 2015 to 2016. However, now I have another system to run the application on in LV 2012. Copying the block diagram into a fresh VI did not work, the fresh VI does not get backsaved now.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,230 Views)