LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmit audio from myRIO to a computer

I need to input audio using a microphone connected to myRIO audio input and transmit this sound to a computer so I can hear the sound from speakers connected to a computer.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,783 Views)

Hi CSULAEE,

that's a nice task. What have you tried so far?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,771 Views)

I can get input using myRIO built-in function inside LabVIEW. But I don't know how to transfer this sound to a computer. Basically, Attached is my project so far. I'm running Main.vi on myRIO and getting audio input. Then I've created a varialbe from the audio input. Then I'm trying to transfer this varialbe to Desktop Main.vi which runs on a computer but it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,760 Views)

Hi Coren,

can't open LV2013, here I'm restircted to LV2011…

How are you related to the OP?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,740 Views)
We are working on a capstone project for our school. Do you know if anyone has been able to achieve audio transmission from myRIO DAQ to a computer? I think currently this is not possible. Unfortunately myRIO's advertisement confused us. We thought the reason to have audio input and output on myRIO is to transmit voice from DAQ to computer and from computer to DAQ. However, this is not the case. I don't know what is the application of having audio in and out on myRIO when you connect a microphone and speaker to myRIO, you can easily speak onto microphone and hear your own voice from speakers connected to myRIO, but what's the point of this? Anyway, our team were interested to use myDAQ but NI representative convinced us to purchase myRIO but there's no comprehensive book or reference to cover myRIO from A to Z. It seems we have become beta testers.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,726 Views)

Hi CSULAEE,

AudioIn/Out is described in the myRIO manual.

They are special in terms of coupling (AC), impedance and voltage range, so they can easily be connected to usual audio hardware like receivers, mics, whatever. Apart from that they are just ordinary AI/AO from software point of view and need to be handle as such…

To stream audio data from myRIO to PC and viceversa you have to do some programming. It's your task and you have LabVIEW at hand to fulfill this task!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,719 Views)
OK, but I don't know how to do that programming part. I've searched online to find a specific book for myRIO, but no success.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,710 Views)
By the way, are you official NI application engineer?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,705 Views)

Hi CSULAEE,

you should go through cRIO basics as offered by www.NI.com/compactrio

The myRIO is very similar to those cRIO devices!

Edit: No, I don't work at NI. I'm just a user as you are! 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,704 Views)

Hello CSULAEE,

There are quite a few examples for using the myRIO out there, and in fact the myRIO driver comes with an example called "Voice Recorder (myRIO)" that seems to do more or less exactly what you're looking for.  Now that you've been able to acquire audio data, you need a way to transmit that over a network and interpret it on your host PC. If that shipping template doesn't give you enough to start with, I'd suggest taking a look at the myRIO community page, there are dozens of code examples there:

Community: NI myRIO

https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/academic/products_and_projects/myrio

As with most engineering problems, there may or may not be an already-existing solution for you to reuse.  This is when you need to combine the knowledge and tools you have to create something new that does what you need it to.

If you need to get in touch with an NI Applications Engineer, I suggest calling or emailing NI support directly.

Best Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,691 Views)