LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translate standard popup menus

Is it possible to translate the text in the standard popup menus that appear when you right-click controls? I don't care about the IDE, just the executables at runtime should have custom text, regardless of the machine i run them on
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,330 Views)
Can you give an example of what you need? I do not fully understand your problem.
Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,327 Views)
Run a VI, and while it runs, right-click a control: you get a popup menu. I'd like to change the text shown in those menus. Just the text, not functionality; for example, every "Copy Data" should become "Bla bla"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,319 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,305 Views)

Thanks but that's not what i'm saying. I don't want to recreate new menus control by control. I just want the default menus to have different labels for the same functions. That should be possible globally, i can't rebuild the menu from scratch for every control of every application...

At edit time, if i right-click a control and do

Advanced -> Run-time shortcut menu -> Edit...

I can see that, for example, "Copy Data" corresponds to item tag APP_SC_COPY_DATA, maybe somewhere i can redefine the default label for that item tag

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,298 Views)
This is what you want I believe
Message Edited by aeastet on 02-12-2010 11:26 AM
Tim
GHSP
Message 6 of 10
(3,279 Views)

That changes the labels, but also destroys functionality of items.

You can test it easily with item 6 ("Description and tip..."); change the text and it won't show description anymore.

I also tried to change only the label with with Set Menu Item Info, but it gives error 1164 ("Cannot modify an application menu item").

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,249 Views)

I dont know of a way off hand how to do this.  But i suppose the question is why would you want to?  I believe the default runtime options are embedded into event cases etc etc and changing setting could cause all sorts of havoc.  Why not create your own menu using the custom one which is similar to default but custom to your design and the save this as a type-def control (Maybey strict Type-def).

From then on in you have a control with your functionality available to hand.

Craig

LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,240 Views)
I just want to translate the application to some other language. Creating custom menus from scratch is "reinventing the wheel"; i'd have to rewrite the code to do standard menu actions for every type of control. Think of charts, scales, arrays... and you get the idea. It's surprising that you can't just edit the labels, like you do with Export/Import Strings for every other part of controls. Thanks anyway
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,227 Views)

The application items of the run-time shortcut menus appear localized. No need to do anything. In the build specification you can select which languages are supported, default are all supported languages.

The language of the run-time shortcut menu is defined by the regional settings of the PC. If the language defined in the regional settings is not supported it will use the default language (also specified in the build specification).

I don't know if it's possible to add languages which are not available by default.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,218 Views)