From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a file through VISA

As I already said, you will have to break the file into smaller parts and transfer them sequentially. Attach what you have written so far and be specific about the sort of problems you are having.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(776 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

Here, am sending the code. In this code, I'm transmitting & receiving in the same PC itself.

Am reading the strings & transferring the strings to VISA write; receiving the strings via VISA read.

It works for file size about some kB's. But I have to transmitt about 125kB of file size as it shows some timeout error. I tried by putting some time delays, but it didn't fix the error.

If it is possible to send the entire file means welcome; rather than reading the strings.

Please help me in this.

----------------------------------------

Thanks & Regards,

Ashokan. M

Ocean Acoustics,
National Institute of Ocean Technology,
Chennai, India - 600100.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(766 Views)

Someone else who is apparently unable to read the previous answers.

You simply CANNOT do the write and read sequentially. It makes no sense. You are trying to simulate the file transfer from one pc to another. Your receiver would be a separate VI doing nothing but a read. You would also want to break up the sending into smaller chunks, as I previously said.

With all of this said, there is a good chance you will have problems. There is no provision for handshaking or error correction. In the old days before the internet and connections to bulletin boards over modems, there were protocols for file transfer such as zmodem. I don't know if this was ever implemented in LabVIEW but you could do a search.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(758 Views)

I have modified the program but I want the timeout to be equal to data bytes but with the feedback node it is only 10 sec and if I make it 20 sec it take too much time to read the bytes at port..Any input would be helpful...thanks in advance...Niladri 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(744 Views)

Since you have again refused to take a single piece of my advice, I see no reason to offer any more or to even look at any more posts of yours. Good bye and good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(733 Views)

Sorry but I am not getting your point you said sequentially visa Witt and read is not possible so I changed it so once I read a command from another computer only than I send the complete file and for sending in chunks is not possible as I told you before....

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(711 Views)

Perhaps some day you will study some of the underlying communications protocols of such basics as TCP/IP. You will then see that the data you send (such as these endless posts of yours), are in fact broken up into discrete packets and not one huge one. You have not provided a single reason why the file must be transmitted as one huge block instead of smaller packets and if you even had the smallest clue as to what was involved, you would not be arguing about it. Perhaps you will also finally understand why you should have a separate write and read VIs. That is in fact what you will ultimately be doing if your initial explanation is correct.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(700 Views)

Actually the truth is I am not from communication(I am a mechanical engineer) I have basic or no knowledge of transfer protocol. But my sir is saying that the magnetometer is will send data 24*5 and I have continuously send and record the data from magnetometer and  the data will get updated is every 80 mSec I have to simulated this condition first this my job so anyone can suggest me any better solution...Would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(691 Views)