LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring LV Project causes many problems

Hi everybody,

I am having trouble trying to transfer a project from a machine to another... What I did is I zipped the entire project and then transferred it. The project builds without errors on the first machine. On the second one, I don't get a broken arrow, but when I try to build the app, I get the following message :

"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\Harddisk4\DR4"

I click "Continue", then I get 10 other identical messages in a row, but with 3 instead of 4. I dismiss them all, then LabVIEW crashes.

I have also tried other ways to distribute the application. I tried Save as->Include all dependencies, but doing that always results in a crash after I get a message saying "This operation will save 1 file(s) over existing files...". This always happens for the same file. I found that I had another vi of the same name in another library, which I renamed, but I still get this error...

Another srange thing is that when I do a mass compile of certain librairies on the first machine, I will not get any errors, whereas I will get many errors doing a mass compile of the same librairies on the second machine. 

I have spent many days on this now, and am starting to run out of ideas... Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks!

Sylvain

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,826 Views)

The questions I have are, how did you install Labview on the Second machine? It seems that therre are links within the first machine that are not present in the second machine. When I install Labview, I generally create a location where you execute the machine has access (it looks like what you did) and do the setup. It seems that one of the location you have setup in the second machine does not exists. Could this be your device cd location? Did you do an installation from the cd? to load the drivers in?

Have you checked your first machine and looked for \device on it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,816 Views)

Where do the build specifications point? What's different between the two machines (toolkits, drivers, etc.). What are the exact error messages?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,813 Views)

What does "Drive \Device\Harddisk4\DR4" mean to you?  They are very odd names (unless you edited the message to hide the drive/device name to make it generic looking.

Is there anyting within the build spec. settings that might be pointing to that drive path?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,812 Views)

I installed LabVIEW from an original CD, on my C drive. Every feature/add-on on the first machine is also installed on the second. Both are LV 2012 SP1. There are no \Device folder on the first machine. In fact, this message seems to come from Windows rather than from LabVIEW: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330137

I just don't understand why this happens when I try to build...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,795 Views)

The build specs point to E:\builds. E:\ is the drive on which the project is located. DRx seem to be names given to mounted drives by Windows I guess... Look at the link in my other post.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,785 Views)

I'm not sure how much I can add, but have you tried switching to the "Files" tab in the project explorer window - I suspect that you may have some drivers or libraries on a separate drive path that's not being duplicated in your copy.

Regards

Paul

Regards

Paul

CLD running LabVIEW 2012 32 & 64 bit on Windows 7 64 bit OS.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,739 Views)

Paul : Thanks for your answer. I compared the Files tab of the two projects and they are exactly the same so this isn't the problem.

In fact, I am pretty sure that it comes from a lack of allocated memory. See,  I have somewhat huge mathscripts computing significant amounts of data in a VI, and I think LabVIEW's memory overflows when compiling.

Another thing that makes me think this way is that I noticed that in the About LabVIEW… window from the Help menu, the first PC has twice the allocated memory. Is there a way to improve memory allocation in LabVIEW? What are the best practices when using arrays of double floating-point within a mathscript?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,724 Views)

@SylvainF wrote:

Another thing that makes me think this way is that I noticed that in the About LabVIEW… window from the Help menu, the first PC has twice the allocated memory.

Is this under identical conditions, loading exactly the same VIs under a freshly started LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,717 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@SylvainF wrote:

Another thing that makes me think this way is that I noticed that in the About LabVIEW… window from the Help menu, the first PC has twice the allocated memory.

Is this under identical conditions, loading exactly the same VIs under a freshly started LabVIEW?

I reopened the project on both computers without opening any VIs, and now the allocated memory is only slightly different (369501K compared to 365294K). I guess this is normal...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,700 Views)