LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer data between FlexRIO 7962R(NI 5781) and PXI-7853R

Hello,

I am trying to find clues on how i can communicate between two FPGA cards (FlexRIO 7962R and PXI-7853R. I don't seem to find any relevant information regarding the same. I have seen that it is possible to do so for same cards but not different fpga cards. 

Also I was looking at the possibility of using P2P streaming, but the PXI-7853R does not have the peer to peer writer or reader.

Could some one just give me a clue on how I can go about this. I would like to send synchronized data from one to the other during the operation.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,301 Views)

Benvalet,

You can communicate using the Read/Write Control (for single point data) or DMA FIFOs (for streaming data) between the 2 cards, but you'll need to develop a Host VI to act as the intermediary between the two.  Keep in mind that DMA FIFOs are uni-directional, so you need 2 per card for bi-directional data (I believe the 7853R only supports 3 DMA FIFOs max).

ex-fpga-cards.png

You can refer to the NI LabVIEW High-Performance FPGA Developer's Guide, specifically the Data Transfer Mechanisms section on transferring data between devices.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,265 Views)

Smoot,

Thanks so much for you response to my question. In deed I can now make the two cards work and trigger the FlexRIO using the Rseries card (7853) using the PXI-Trig. But I have one problem, once the Rseries card triggers the FlexRIO card, it seems I have no control over it.

I would like to send signals from 7853R card to FlexRIO 7962 card periodically  during the entire time the code is running for data acquisition. For example when a Boolean is true in 7853R card, the signal should be sent to FlexRIO card to send data to the Host. 

I cant seem to fix this problem. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,232 Views)

Benvalet,

You should be able to use the other PXI trigger signals to control the FlexRIO similarly to what you're doing now, you'll probably have to right-click on the FPGA targets in your projects to add the I/O (right-click»Add»FPGA I/O, I believe).

Depending on the FlexRIO I/O, you can transmit the signals externally.

Otherwise, I would refer to my previous post about transferring data using a Host VI and Read/Write controls.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,211 Views)