cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips and Tricks for Front Panel

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All.

Just completed my very first LV Application and one issue that I have seen is to understand what guidelines there could be for designing a Front panel

my confusion or I need help to understand the following

(1) My applications as small applications that control specific parts therefore I have only a small number of controls and indicators on a Front Panel my issue is to judge the size of the panel example full screen  looks bad as you search for the few controls and indicators ,may be it is better to set the Front panel to maximum ,I dont know these things and are looking for help .

(2) should the developer first assign the size to a Panel and then place the controls etc.or place the controls and increase the size as it progress?

(3) Where is the 0,0 origin of the Front panel,it seams that if you double click a control in the Block diagram to high light it in the Front panel the origin of the Front panel move as well ,not sure about this but it looked that way a few times with me .

If you guys can help me with some documents or whitepapers that describes a basic procedure for creating Front panels I would be very happy .I found some papers on the NI web that shows how to set the Vi properties for size and Run time position etc ,which helped me mo create my first executable running on another machine however 

The panel can be a much more improved .

Regards 

QMESAR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learning is an endless process but needs to start some where
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,912 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author QMESAR

If you show the grid, the origin is marked with thicker lines and a dot. It's position is irrelevant unless you e.g. move the panel to the origin when the program starts (I typically do, because it might have moved during editing).

What does the program do? Is the computer used for anything else while the program is running? 

I hate maximized/oversized front panels.

Maybe the user needs to use other apps , eg look at a manual or email you for help. If your app covers the entire screen, these things get difficult. 

Message 2 of 5
(2,877 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author QMESAR

You will also handle the front panels of main VI's and subVI's differently.  The main VI or any subVI's that are shown during the application should be designed for what is in the best interest of the user.  It would have logical groupings for controls and indicators, labels, captions, and tip strips designed to assist the user.

SubVI's who do not have front panels shown during operation should be designed to help the programmer.  I like to keep controls on the left, indicators on the right and arranged top to bottom in a pattern that matches their order on the connector panel.  Keep the controls and indicators arranged compactly on the front panel in a way that assists the programmer (usually you) while working in the development environment during debugging sessions.  Make sure the window is only just a bit larger than the controls.  (No need for a full screen window for a subVI with 3 controls!)

Also keep in mind the size of windows for when the program might run on a PC with a lower resolution screen.  Even for the subVI's if you do debug sessions.  You might be programming in the development environment with multiple high resolution screens, but if you'll be running the application or debugging it on a PC where it will be deployed with a smaller screen, you don't want the windows disappearing off the sides of the screen and having to fight scroll bars.

Message 3 of 5
(2,867 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

What does the program do? Is the computer used for anything else while the program is running? 

I hate maximized/oversized front panels.

Maybe the user needs to use other apps , eg look at a manual or email you for help. If your app covers the entire screen, these things get difficult. 

Thank you very much for the reply,Yes this is exactly my problem the Computer runs 2 app's my one and another logging some data for the manufacturer of the machine,the user needs to interact between / switch between the app's constantly .I am new to this however the maximized panel I do not like .

Regards

QMESAR

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,839 Views)

Smiley Happy Thank you very much for your reply again you guys are the light in a dark tunnel.

Noted all the comments will work on it and try out different things to learn and see the results 

Regards 

QMESAR

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,836 Views)