LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timestamp with milliseconds to double

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to get my formatted time stamp (which includes down to the millisecond) into a double format. I've been using scan from string. No matter what formatting I use, the double number is always truncated and only displays a reolution of a tenth of  a second. 

I need my date/time string in DBL format becuase I need to append it to an array of other DBL numbers which is being written to a .csv file. So it can't be in string format (unless theres some way to write both to a .csv file)

What can I do to get the respresentaion correct? 

qqqqq.gif

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,068 Views)

in your example, there is no reason to even go to a string.  Just use the To Double coercion node.

I'll try to play around with this to see if I can find something with the string formatting.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,058 Views)

THanks criossrulz, you're right, I just used a to double conversion node/.

Problem solved, my issue is that in my write to spreadsheet file vi, I had the wrong formatting parameter. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,055 Views)

Not sure why you are converting to a string and then a double.

Why not covert to a double then format the double as a string?

DateTime to 10.6f.png

Guess I was to slow... Thats what happens when you get old...

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,052 Views)

I need it as a double because I need to append it to an array of DBL which is being written to a .csv file.

And I need the date/time stamp in the format I specified. WHen I convert the string to double, it loses its resolution (which is down to 1e-6 seconds) see below. 

ssss.gif

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,042 Views)

I actually can't just coerce to double because I need the timestamp formatted in the way I specified in "format date/time string"

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,032 Views)

@Snow_In_Tehran wrote:

I need it as a double because I need to append it to an array of DBL which is being written to a .csv file.

And I need the date/time stamp in the format I specified. WHen I convert the string to double, it loses its resolution (which is down to 1e-6 seconds) see below. 

ssss.gif

You just have a display issue here.  Change the data format of your numeric to be floating point with a high number of digits of precision and you will see that your data is there.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,028 Views)

Thanks, that takes care of displaying it on the front panel. However, how to I get it so that such a representation is passed out of the function to I can write it to my data file?

The DBL that it outputs is still only to a tenth of a second format.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,018 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Snow_In_Tehran

@Snow_In_Tehran wrote:

Thanks, that takes care of displaying it on the front panel. However, how to I get it so that such a representation is passed out of the function to I can write it to my data file?

The DBL that it outputs is still only to a tenth of a second format.

Well that completely depends on the format string you are using for when you are creating your CSV.  You probably want something like "%.6f" for you format.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,012 Views)

I've tried that and every type of formatting and it still gives me that precision.

Interestingly, when I do %f.6  as opposed to %.6f, I get the resolution. However, there is a .6 appended to every number in the data file! Any idea how I can get that out? Now I'm getting the precision I want but have that weird character in there. 

gggg.gif

gggg.gif

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,992 Views)