From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time averaging problem

Hi all,

I encounter a problem using time averaging function in Labview. The time averaging is utilized to improve the SNR. However, when I use the time average function, both useful signal and noise will be suppress, hence no improvement in SNR. I have no idea why this is happened.

The signal given by I= cos[Acos(2*pi*20000(t) + p(t) +n(t)],

where     n(t) is a white noise
              p(t) is a periodic signal

Any idea to overcome this is highly appreciated.  Attached is my labview file.
I have been using Labview for 2 years but very awful in signal processing.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,682 Views)

Is it possible to save it as LV8.2 so that I can have a look at it?  It is the version that I have on this PC.

Thanks,

R

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,675 Views)
Here it is.. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,649 Views)

I suspect the problem is related to the synchronization of the information signal. Since the signal is sinusoidal, out of phase sum operation  can cause destructive interference.

However when I do averaging in frequency domain, only noise is suppressed and information signal is remained.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,645 Views)

Thanks,

I'll have a look at it.

R

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,631 Views)

mustaine,

You are right that the out of phase summation is causing the output to be suppressed.  Connect a graph to the array going into or coming from the Cosine function and you will see the phase shifting.  Increase the wait time to make it easier to see.

When you want to average signals to reduce noise, you need some kind of synchronization.  It must be tied to the desired signal phase.  How you get it depends very much on the source of the signal (and noise and interference) and what you are actually trying to do with the signal.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,626 Views)

Sorry,

I've been busy & away from the forum.  Did Lynn provide a solution for you?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,585 Views)