From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time accuracy of GPS timestamp

Hello,

How accurate can the time of the GPS signal be resolved?

If i look at the actual RX timestamp I see a resolution of 10e-8 s.

At the LV Timestamp it will be the same.

Is it possible to reach a higher/ better time resolution?

e.g. 10e-9, 10e-10, ...

Or is the time resolution limited by the USRP?

thx

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,311 Views)

According to Wikipedia: "GPS time is theoretically accurate to about 14 nanoseconds. However, most receivers lose accuracy in the interpretation of the signals and are only accurate to 100 nanoseconds."

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,302 Views)

I believe that the GPS signal is updated every second, that is, at a 1 Hz rate. This clock is then synced to your local oscillator which usually is 10 or maybe 100 MHz. The accuracy depends on how accurate your clock is also.

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,271 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

I believe that the GPS signal is updated every second, that is, at a 1 Hz rate. This clock is then synced to your local oscillator which usually is 10 or maybe 100 MHz. The accuracy depends on how accurate your clock is also.

Cheers,

mcduff

think (I'm really not very confident on this) that only applies to a GPS device that outputs NMEA data over serial (which, as you say, outputs every 1s). I think the poster is using the software defined radio to decode the GPS signal directly?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,258 Views)

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the signals from the satellites were only broadcast once a second, not sure why I thought that.

Cheers,

mcduf

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,246 Views)