From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threshold detector PtByPt - negative threshold

Hello, I am using Threshold detector PtByPt to detect a signal that goes from 0 to -90. I set my threshold to -50 but the detector doesn't detect it, is there a way to negate my input signal or change the "internals" of the Threshold detector PtByPt .VI so it can detect?

It is a waveform signal that consists of Y, dt and t0. I  tried to negate but nothing happened. 

Thank you for any advice.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,156 Views)

When you tried to negate your signal (so it would go from 0 to +90), did you *also* negate your threshold value (so it would change from -50 to +50)?

It's been over a decade since I posted with the same question about detecting a threshold crossing from above to below.  I think this reply may be the most relevant one to adapt into a pt-by-pt evaluation.

(I solved that original issue via binary search, which operated on a large array after the whole thing had been accumulated.   I was only able to do so because of special circumstances that led to my dataset being inherently sorted.)

<time passes>.   Actually, I just opened up Threshold Detector PtByPt.vi.   That's probably an even easier starting point.  Make a copy under a different name in one of your personal folders.   There's a >= comparison between the input value and the threshold value.   It sure looks like all you need to do to make a threshold detector for descending data is to change that to a <= comparison.

I'd probably put the comparison operator inside a case structure so you could provide a boolean input to specify either ascending or descending data.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,108 Views)

Thank you Kevin for your comprehensive reply, that's exactly what I Did. I changed the comparison sign inside the threshold block and it works like a charm now.

I am still working on my project and I encountered another issue which is how to save the position (index) of the threshold detected with the input data to the xls. file.

If I should open new topic for this problem, let me know. In any case, thank you for your help.

Boris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,092 Views)

@LaBoris:

I would recommend starting a new Topic for "Adding additional Data to an Excel Worksheet".  I gather that your question about negative threshold arose from analyzing a row (or column) of data from Excel.  You now want to update the Worksheet to add an entry for the Threshold -- do you want to indicate the Threshold value, the Threshold location (within the Array), or both?  Depending on how your Worksheet is organized, you could write additional rows/columns with, say, a 2x2 Cell array, Threshold, Threshold Location, and two values.  You could also write these data on a separate Worksheet.  

If you do post such a query, consider posting an example Excel file so we can make "recommendations that work" for your data.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,059 Views)