From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This program that I have is supposed to take reading from microphone and saving it in a file. But when I check the wav file after, it says for example it has 20 sec when your playing it but no recording at all which is weird cause the file got bigger

I don't understand the problem. I ran the VI for a little while and then use the Sound File Read and got the data.

p.s. Dont; cram your entire question into the subject. Place it in the message body. That's what it's for.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 01-15-2009 03:26 PM
Message 2 of 10
(2,642 Views)
After when you tried playing the file, did the file play or did it look like there was something in the file cause it's increasing in size but when you play it, there is nothing?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,628 Views)
Did you check to see if the microphone is turned off or muted within Windows sound mixer?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,611 Views)
The file read was exactly what was displayed on the graph as it was acquired. There is obviously something in your file because as you said, the size increases. DO NOT confuse 'nothing' with data that you do not expect. I simply used the sound file read and displayed that on a graph in LabVIEW. If you are using a different program to read the data, then maybe you have a problem with that program or you are acquiring sound data in a format that is not supported by your player but please stop saying there is 'nothing' in your file.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,606 Views)
which program are you using to play the file cause i'm using soundforge, audacity and real player. It plays but there is nothing that you could hear.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,572 Views)

I have told you twice what I am using to read the file - Sound File Read. Its right on the sample palette as your Sound File Write.

I don't have any of those players on my system so I can't check their settings right now. You can see what sample rates that they support and compare that to what you are using in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,559 Views)
i realized that the file that is created is a pcm file thats why nothing plays in it. Do you know how to play those files or to convert them to wav files
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,550 Views)

An audio editor like GoldWave or CoolEdit might work? I'm not really sure though, nor am I familiar with the software. I just googled "pcm to wav converter"

Message Edited by Chris_VH on 01-19-2009 01:48 PM
Chris Van Horn
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,546 Views)