From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Party Sound Card/Audio Interface in OS X?

You can think of LabVIEW's sound card VIs as wrappers of the native OS API functions. If you are using third party driver functions, maybe the OS calls those instead of its native library functions. If you know the driver library that is being used you can wrap those up in a call function node in LabVIEW.

Wan L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(918 Views)

Wan,

I understand how the native Sound VIs in LabVIEW work, but reading through the posts before on this thread, it seemed to me that NI is aware of this problem, but could not yet fix it..?!

Grant H. wrote:

I found out that R&D is already aware of this issue. There is an issue with certain usb audio devices not being enumerated by LabVIEW correctly and it seems to have come up with the new sound API released for the Mac last year but they don't know the real cause yet. They are investigating the issue and have an R&D escalation attached to it (CAR#205484) but for the moment there is no workaround.

@TimC wrote:

Sorry, R&D still hasn't released anything

my soundcard is definately using the CoreAudio Drivers, (the same ones that the build-in Audio System uses)

So, i wonder why one is working, one isnt...

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(903 Views)

Hello,

I'm trying to interface to an external USB audio interface, and am curious what the status of this request is.  This forum opened more than 4 years ago, yet there has been no resolution of this?

Best,
JG

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(818 Views)

JG,

I can use my USB headset with the sound VIs, provided I select that source in System Preferences >> Sound >> Input. OS X 10.9.5. LV 2014, 64-bit.

I just noticed that the Play Waveform Express VI has a Device selection ring on the configuration window. That allows me to select either the internal or USB device for output. So, NI knows how to find and access connected devices. I have not tried to track down where the configuration window VIs are located to see if they can be opened for exammination.

Lynn

Message 24 of 27
(809 Views)

JG,

In vi.lib >> sound2  look at the _SoundAcquireConfig.llb and _PlayWaveformCofig.llb. The key VIs use Call Library Function Nodes internally but they can do the job of connecting to the devices I have.

Lynn

Message 25 of 27
(803 Views)

Hi Lynn,

Thanks-- I can verify that my Yamaha UR22 is recognized by LV2014 on the Mac under OS 10.9.5.  I was using LV2013SP1.  I'm glad that the issue of recognizing the board is resolved.

Strangely, the sampling rate is limited to 96khz (16bits), whereas the device supports up to 192khz (24 bits)  not sure what's going on with this.  It is run by a device specific driver, I'm wondering if this isn't properly communicating with LV?

I can confirm that the windows LV also stuggles with this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(792 Views)

I noticed the 96 kHz limit also. I do not have any devices faster than 44100, so I did not investigate that.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(783 Views)