LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The meaning of Ring Control

Hi All,

I have been using LabVIEW for a year now.

I just have a simple question about "Ring Control"

I know how it works but i just don't know why it is called the "Ring" control.

I noticed that the continuous clicking of the increase button will go through the list like a "ring"

But enums do the same as well.

Is it just me that is curious about this?

Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,513 Views)

Hi Jeff

As I understand it the main difference is that you can define both the string and numeric values of items in a ring control, whereas you can define only the string values of items in an enum. Another difference is that the string values of items in an enum cannot be changed at run-time.

There's a KB addressing this distinction here.

Kind Regards

Chris | Applications Engineer NIUK
Message 2 of 7
(2,484 Views)

@hicksc wrote:

Hi Jeff

As I understand it the main difference is that you can define both the string and numeric values of items in a ring control, whereas you can define only the string values of items in an enum. Another difference is that the string values of items in an enum cannot be changed at run-time.

There's a KB addressing this distinction here.

Kind Regards

Concidering that engineers seldom invent anything NEW...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 7
(2,463 Views)

Umm, maybe i missed a point.

So why is it called the "ring" control again?

Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,456 Views)

As shown above letters and numbers are arranged in a ring about a circle. There is a one to one relationship between the letters and the numbers. Given a letter you can find a number of vise versa. While the Secret Decoder Ring shown above was intended to encode/decode secret messages, a letter at a time the same idea can be extended to make a connection between a uniques set of words or phrases and numbers.

The ring control is simply a virtual Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring where you can define translations.

Ben

(Its a hard knock life) 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 7
(2,438 Views)

I was wondering what you were trying to say with the picture.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,411 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Concidering that engineers seldom invent anything NEW...

"Besuretodrinkyourovaltine. Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a b ...!"

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 7 of 7
(2,398 Views)