cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The lines on the Tree is gone

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

When I run same code on different computers, I noticed the lines on the Tree, on some computers the lines are displayed, some computers did not (see attached pictures).

The computers are same (Windows7, LabVIEW2012).

Anyone have seen this before and know how to fix it ? Is it related to the setting of LabVIEW ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,782 Views)

Looks like it's related to the individual display settings on the computers, since everything on the LH graph seems darker than on the other.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,745 Views)

The display setting are same.

So you think the line still there, they are just too light to see ?
 If that is the root cause, how can I adjust the display to see it ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,734 Views)

You need to dig deep into the display properties dialog boxes to get to brightness. Perhaps you can even adjust your monitors themselves.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,730 Views)

I don't think screen brightness would affect a screenshot in anyway.

I don't think the display settings are exactly the same.  The picture on the right with no lines looks like the font is slightly larger than the one on the left.  Also the one on the left has some blueness to the border.

Check font size settings within the Windows display settings.  Are these controls using any of the built-in/system fonts like system font, application font, or dialog font within LabVIEW?

Are these screenshots from the same Windows OS or different Windows versions?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,720 Views)

The problem happen when the display settings are same. We just upgraded from WinXP/LabVIEW 2009 to Win7/LabVIEW2012 on same computer without changing the default windows display setting (Maybe WinXP is different from Win7 ?)

Sorry the picture is confusing because I took snap shot from different computers (the one with the line is WinXP/2012, the one w/o line is Win7/2012).

I checked the LabVIEW default fonts for computers with and w/o lines, they are same-Application front.

I checked with other engineers/computers in our company, they have same problem.

So I believe the problem is in the (Tree display ?) setting of LabVIEW 2012 but still cannot find the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,701 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BigDrum

There is a setting to show or hide the hierarchy lines on the tree:

tree.png

I'm not sure what the "Default" setting means...perhaps it uses some system-specific setting to decide whether to show the lines, and that setting is different on your two machines? If you set this value to "Visible" then I'm guessing the problem will be solved.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,692 Views)

You are correct. Thank you Darren !

I checked the computers. Both in LabVIEW2009 and 2012, if you create a Tree, the selection is default.

In 2009, show the lines but in 2012 not showing the lines for whatever reason.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,683 Views)

It looks like Darren found the problem.

But to let you know, you DO have different display settings between the two PC's.  Windows 7 (actually I think it started with Vista) started using a different Windows font that is also 1 point bigger than Win XP.

The LabVIEW fonts of application, dialog, and system font, say you are using the same between the two PC's, they aren't real fonts but aliases that call up the Windows default font.  Since Windows changed the fonts and made thtm bigger from XP to Vista to Win7, means your LabVIEW front panels (and also block diagrams) wind up looking different since the default LabVIEW fonts are just the aliases or pointers to the Windows fonts.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,654 Views)

Thank you for the information.

That explain the other change I saw when I upgrade Windows: the same LabVIEW code, the labels,text,etc. are perfect aligned before but now are overlapping each other since the front size became bigger.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,628 Views)