LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The application is not able to keep up with the hardware acquisition.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using NI USB 6000 with labview. I am acquiring continuous analog data but then after running for sometime I get an error

"The application is not able to keep up with the hardware acquisition.

Increasing the buffer size, reading the data more frequently, or specifying a fixed number of samples to read instead of reading all available samples might correct the problem."  Please find the attached vi.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(13,527 Views)

Try using a producer consumer architecure.  Put all the data capture in your producer and all of the analysis in the consumer.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(13,512 Views)

First of all, it would help us diagnose your issue more if you posted the actual VI.

So from the picture, here are a couple of things I would fix:

1. Get rid of the XY graphs.  They are just showing information that is already in the charts you have.  Have the From Dynamic Data configured to output an array of waveforms and you will have the time information in the charts.

2. I am guessing the case structure that is cut off on the right is for data logging.  You really should ask to log upfront and then you can use a Producer/Consumer setup to have your logging happen while you capture the data.  This will save a lot of time asking for more memory.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(13,492 Views)

The reason I am using 2 charts is the waveform displays the data during continuous acquisition while the xy shows the entire data after stopping the application. Also through xy i am able to obtain the actual time im getting my data.

Could you please help me more with the producer/consumer architecture. I have attached my vi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(13,457 Views)

Take a look at these links for help with producer consumer.  You can also find examples under help/find examples in the labview environment.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3023/en/

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2145

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(13,430 Views)

You are autoindexing evergrowing 2D arrays at the while loop boundary, requiring LabVIEW to request more memory from the memory manager, a relatively expensive process. If you don't stop the VI, you are quaranteed to run out of contiguous memory eventually. As your VI runs, it is digging itself deeper and deeper into memory problems. What is the loop rate?

Please show us the rest of the code, there has to be more to it. Why are the graphs outside the loop? Are they configured to retain data between calls? (another memory issue). What are the values of the various booleans and where do they connect to? An image is insufficicnet to see these things.

For some general guidelines on optimization and memory considerations, have a look at part II of our NI-Week presentation.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(13,421 Views)

The reason for graphs outside the loop is that when I press the stop button the entire data is displayed on the X-Y graphs. the chart that is inside the loop displays it continuously when the loop is running and acquiring data. The only way I have retained the collected data is by storing it in the array and writing that array to an excel file. Also the loop rate is 1000Hz but varies as the values settle. Please find the attached vi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(13,415 Views)

Recommendations: 

1)  Use the producer-consumer architecture

2)  Move your GUI activities into a separate loop.    Your GUI interractions are the slowest executing parts of the code. 

3)   (opt)  Apply this technique to your GUI:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/london-labview-user-group/blog/2015/06/30/labview-tip-speeding...

4)   (opt)  If the execution is still not fast enough, add a data collection loop.  Use Queues to xfer data to the main data crunching loop. 

5)   Waveform data doesn't have to immediately displayed.  You can crunch the data and pass it to the GUI at your leisure. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(13,410 Views)

I will try the producer consumer architecture but I need to display the data on waveform immediately because of the purpose for which I am making it

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(13,390 Views)

Are you concerned about losing any data or just displaying the most recent data?

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(13,388 Views)