LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The IV data collection with keithley 237 has stopped in between as the program was not able to read the data from the buffer.

Hi,,I have a keithley 237 which can be used for souce measurement unit.The problem is during the running ,its will stop talking to gpib card..if i exit the data has also lost.Could anyone suggest me about this problem

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,252 Views)

I'm sorry, but you're really going to need to provide more information. You said it will stop talking to the GPIB card. Are you referring to your code, or the instrument? Are you saying the instrument falls off the bus? Does it show any errors on its front panel? Does your code generate any errors? Does power-cycling the instrument fix the problem? Perhaps it's a malfunctioning instrument. Perhaps it's bad/loose cables. What kind of GPIB controller do you have? What is your code doing? Are you continuously querying the device? How fast? Have you tried running NI-Spy to monitor the GPIB bus?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,247 Views)

I'm having exactly the same problem. The setup is very simple - just using programs from the examples supplied with the drivers. Occasionally it just drops out with the message "Keith 237 Device Errors; GPIB Send Message" and all the data is lost (set to zero). Have swapped cables, and tried numerous tricks, but am now running out ideas. Did you get anywhere with this one? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,177 Views)

The Keithley 237 is an old device and its GPIB bus timing can easily be overwhelmed by modern GPIB cards. I solved it by adding a short delay after most reads to give the device some recovery time before it is addressed for receiving the next command. I'm pretty sure there are more correct fixes by playing with the GPIB options such as Enabling Readdressing, etc for that device (setting changed on the controller not in the device), but it has been so long and the delay fix seems to work.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,163 Views)