From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Background Transparency setting doesn't work on most Silver & NXG controls

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Darrin,

I'm actually not concerned with the frame at all - just the background.

Thanks,
Erik

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 23
(658 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ErikL68

The Frame IS the background.  It has a border and a fill.  You must set the fill color to transparent and leave a border.

Frame.png

Message 22 of 23
(651 Views)

Hi Darrin

Sorry - I now see what you're saying: the frame has a fill component, which is not transparent by default, and that can't be changed programmatically. This fill component then remains visible behind the Text Background on controls that have a solid-filled frame, which are all the controls with any type of text box except the some Classic and all Modern controls, resulting in setting the Text background to Transparent just exposing the solid frame fill color.

Looks like if I want to go to NXG, I'll need to customize them as you describe, and - thank you - it does help (though not as much as I would have hoped on the NXG single-pixel frame controls) to open the controls customizer and the Parts Window to check on what component is selected for color changing. Silver works too if you also unstack the elements so that you can delete the "Custom Cosmetics" elements (or possibly make them transparent too, though I didn't test that) and re-stack everything, and then set a Rounded Box (Silver) decoration behind this one but also behind whatever control you're using to color the background, so that it still looks like a Silver control. I've attached an example of this, with instructions.

So, ultimately, it's the Modern controls that are apparently "special" in that they have a frame that has a transparent fill and nothing else between the frame and the text/value box in the control, making them easy to place a color box or Boolean behind to act to color them. The NXG and Silver controls require a bit more work, with the Silver being easier to select the Frame but having elements that need to be deleted.

Not exactly a "bug" but rather a feature not well explained (and not exposed programmatically).

Thanks!

Erik

Message 23 of 23
(639 Views)