From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Background Transparency setting doesn't work on most Silver & NXG controls

Solved!
Go to solution

When you have the color picker dialog window open, hit the spacebar and you can choose different colors for the foreground (border) and background.

TransparentNXGEnum.png

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 23
(904 Views)

I've seen many oddities when converting a control from one palette to another (e.g., from modern to NXG).

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 23
(902 Views)

Hi BillKo,

I wasn't doing a "replace" - I simply put a control down on a test VI from the Silver palette and found that the background won't go transparent. Same for NXG palette. At least in LV 2019 SP1 64-bit. The Modern controls work fine.

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 23
(894 Views)

@ErikL68 wrote:

Hi BillKo,

I wasn't doing a "replace" - I simply put a control down on a test VI from the Silver palette and found that the background won't go transparent. Same for NXG palette. At least in LV 2019 SP1 64-bit. The Modern controls work fine.

Thanks,

Erik

Thanks for the clarification.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(891 Views)

I just checked, and the same behavior is seen in LV 2016 SP1 32-bit on the Silver controls. NXG controls showed up with 2018, so couldn't check them.

Are these known issues with these controls that aren't going to be addressed?

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 23
(876 Views)

@ErikL68 wrote:

I just checked, and the same behavior is seen in LV 2016 SP1 32-bit on the Silver controls. NXG controls showed up with 2018, so couldn't check them.

Are these known issues with these controls that aren't going to be addressed?

Thanks,

Erik

So, Darin.K showed you how to to differentiate between the frame color and the background color above.  Would you consider that "addressed"?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(864 Views)

Hi Bill,

No, sorry to say. I'm not sure how frame color even entered the conversation. I want the frame visible, and the background transparent.

I'm still hoping to hear back from altenbach on how he apparently got it working with NXG controls, as he didn't say what LV version he was using. I suspect he tested in NXG.

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 23
(856 Views)

Darin.K's Post mentions that you can select either the frame border or the background by choosing foreground or background from the color chooser.  That was in response to you saying that you didn't want to change the frame.  (He had two posts, and I was referring to the second post.  From your remarks, I believe you missed the second post.)  If you look at the picture he included, it's an NXG control made transparent, but still with a frame.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 23
(835 Views)

Thanks, BillKo,

Despite not working to turn the background transparent on the NXG control, both colors are set to "T" in the palette:  

ErikL68_0-1623934870469.png

Also - curiously, a number of controls only put a single, large "T" in the selection box. Is this another bug?

ErikL68_1-1623935811683.png

Show me what I'm doing wrong, please. See attached. And be sure to mention what version of LV you're using and what "bitness" of IDE you're in when you're doing it. This info is missing from nearly everyone's post despite my repeated request to include it.

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(802 Views)

If you insist on changing the color of the frame from the front panel directly, you have about a 1 pixel target area on the edge of the frame.  If you use the control editor like I suggested (Right-click Advanced->Customize) and view the parts window, you can be certain you have the frame selected with the color tool.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(785 Views)