From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tetrapolar Impedance Measurement with NI ELVIS

Using NI ELVIS, I am trying to create the capability to measure and analyze bioimpedance from a tetrapolar probe (with two current injecting electrodes and two voltage measuring electrodes). I was hoping that the interface could be the same as the existing bioimpedance analyzer. However, the measurement and analyzing software would need to be different. Does ELVIS have the capability to measure tetrapolar bioimpedance? Can the bipolar impedance analyzer be programmed to measure via a tetrapolar probe? Can the three-wire current-voltage anaylzer be used to this end? If it does not have the capability to measure tetrapolar impedance, can the 3-wire CV analyzer measure reactance (without measuring phase angle)?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,576 Views)
Greetings,

I am not that familiar with bioimpedance and tetrapolar probes, but I do have experience with NI ELVIS. To me, it seems as if you are looking for something with two current outputs and two voltage inputs. If you have two constant current outputs to excite something (in your case tissue or some other biological agent) and measure the voltage across the resistance in question, you will be able to determin the resistance of the material (using Ohm's Law; V = I*R).

NI ELVIS can definitely measure the two voltages using its analog inputs or the DMM. Unfortunately, NI ELVIS does not have the capability to act as a constant current source, but if you have power supply or another device to supply the current, you could definitely use NI ELVIS and LabVIEW t
o acquire the voltage and compute the resistance of the material in question (if you are not interested in the phase angle, it seems as if you are only interested in the real component of imedance which is resistance).

We do have devices that are capable of supplying a constant current. For example, the PCI-6704 (linked below) has the ability to generate currents between 0 and 20 mA.

NI PCI-6704
http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=10705〈=US

Let me know if you have any additional questions or if I am not making any sense. Have a great day.

Regards,

Todd D.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,576 Views)