LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Installer and Application

I would like to be able to use one computer to test my installer and application.  Currently I use two computers, the development computer and a win10 computer that does not have the runtime engine.  After copying the installer files, I install the files, and sometimes find a problem with a file that can't be found.  

I then have to:

remove all the installation from the target computer, 

revise the installer, 

build the installer,

copy the installer to a usb drive,

copy the installer the target computer,

install the installer on the target computer and check to see if the problem is fixed.

Although I haven't tried it, I suspect if the development computer is used, LabVIEW will just use the development files, so I would never see this problem.  Is this correct?

I would like to use only one computer for everything.  Is this possible, maybe by a drive partition?  

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,007 Views)

I think you should be able to use a virtual machine on your development PC. That will provide you with an extra operating system within your normal OS.

Which files can't be found? Are you using static references to files on your PC? Such as c:/user

----------------------------------------------------
Studying for CLA.
LabVIEW, inherit from social media habits!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(997 Views)

@metzler wrote:

I would like to be able to use one computer to test my installer and application.  Currently I use two computers, the development computer and a win10 computer that does not have the runtime engine.  After copying the installer files, I install the files, and sometimes find a problem with a file that can't be found.  

I then have to:

remove all the installation from the target computer, 

revise the installer, 

build the installer,

copy the installer to a usb drive,

copy the installer the target computer,

install the installer on the target computer and check to see if the problem is fixed.

Although I haven't tried it, I suspect if the development computer is used, LabVIEW will just use the development files, so I would never see this problem.  Is this correct?

I would like to use only one computer for everything.  Is this possible, maybe by a drive partition?  

What file is missing? If it's a DLL that one of your instruments needs then you can try to set your build specification to "always Include" that DLL. But if that DLL needs to be properly "installed and registered" then you will also have to run the installer for that device. I have to do this with instruments from NH Research. It would be nice if we could have the LabVIEW installer call another installer, instead of having the end user run two different installers.

But you are correct your development computer will always have everything installed and you will not get the error. As  suggested using a virtual machine is the only way you can use the same physical computer for installer testing.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(969 Views)