From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Termination Character Doesn't Change

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am using vi to set, send and check a serial port. When I try and change the termination character on the front panel from 0xA (\n) to 0xD (\r) and try and step through the vi I find that the termination character consistently reverts back to 0xA which is not what I want. What am I doing incorrectly.

Nevica

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,140 Views)

Hi nevica,

you don't set any termination char in the "VISA Configure serial port" vi. Here's the place to do so! (Just switch on the context help...)

You also send us a vi which is calling a vi with the same name recursively. That is not supported by LabView...

Hint:

You should also state the LabView version you're using, especially when working with these old ones... (Your vi is LV 7.0.)

Message Edited by GerdW on 08-05-2009 10:56 AM
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,137 Views)

Hello Gerd,

Thanks for your reply. In "VISA Configure serial port" .vi I set the termination character to 0xD (\r). <<<<<BUT>>>>> when I run the vi by stepping through or run it as a whole vi the termination mysteriously reverts back to 0xA.

Why is this. I'm using LabView 7 Express.

Nevica

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,130 Views)

Hi nevica,

that's what I see in LV8.6:

serialcomm.png

You don't set any temination chars here... Maybe someone with LV7.0 should check this (my 7.1 is only available at work...)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,122 Views)
You do not connect anything to the termination char input (on the serial port config vi) so the default value is used not the current value, then this vi is called. This is standard Labview behavior.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,115 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nevica

Hello,

Please use the termination char terminal on the VISA Configure Serial Port VI:

terminationChar.PNG

Message 6 of 6
(3,111 Views)