From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature measurement using USB 6351

I am using a T thermocouple and I am using the DAQ, USB 6351.  What would be the most accurate LabVIEW program just to measure the air temperature?  When I use Acq Thermocouple Signal.vi it runs through many samples and does not seem even close to accurate (I am getting readings between 16 and 21 C and inside this building it is closer to the low to mid 20's).  Any suggestions?  And can the USB 6351 give me temperature readings that are +/- 3C accuracy?

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,792 Views)

Hello ncm,

We'll need more information about your setup before offering specific advice (To start with- what measurements do you expect?), but in general you'll want to average multiple samples when acquiring from a thermocouple- they are generally quite noisy, particularly when used to measure air temperature.  Air currents are rarely as static as you think they are.

Some things to keep in mind:

-Cold junction compensation (manual vs. automatic)

-Thermocouple accuracy

-DAQ Analog input range (smaller range will give you higher resolution, which is important when measuring small signals such as the uV differential coming from your thermocouple)

The X-series USB DAQ has a pretty wide range of capabilities and should be able to acquire high-accuracy signals from just about any basic sensor with proper conditioning and a suitable task configuration.  I would posit that your limiting factor is going to be the accuracy of the thermocouple itself. +/- 3 degrees C should absolutely be achievable.

Here are a few things I'd recommend reading through:

White Paper: Making a Thermocouple Measurement With NI LabVIEW

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14338/en

KnowledgeBase: How Do I Reduce Noise in My Thermocouple Measurements?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9B99C4C98952F38486256298005A236D

Edit- This is the LabVIEW discussion forum, so you may also want to consider posting your hardware-specific questions here:

NI Multifunction DAQ forum

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/bd-p/250

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,790 Views)

Thank you for the link for the DAQ forum, that will be helpful.  As for the LabVIEW portion, I attached a screen shot of the temperature example that I am using.  I have the T thermocouple hooked up to the USB 6351 to pin 23 and 24 (which is AI.6 +/-)  The major issue that I am running into is that the temperature seems good for a few seconds when running this program but then drops off unexpectedly (see attached)  I am not sure the reasoning for this  I need to know how much data I should feel comfortable that is accurate so that I can average the signal correctly.

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,777 Views)