LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telnet Tool Kit is not reentrant

Hi,

I found there are some VIs, which are not reentrant in NI Telnet Tool Kit. Which is not suitable for multi UUT testing.

This tool kit was implemented with LabVIEW7.1 and I think NI should spend some time to optimize the Telnet Tool Kit.

If anybody already optimized then please let me know.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,363 Views)

Hi LV2010,

This is a known issue and has been documented in Corrective Action Request - #296749.

To use them as reentrant for now you will have to manually set the VI to reentrant. The steps to do this are:

In the non-reentrant VI, go to File>>VI properties

Under the execution tab select Reentrant execution

DylanC

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,342 Views)

If it is the case, then why NI is selling as a product. It must be givien as free.

Yes I modified all VIs for the reentrent, but due to semaphores still it is not useful. I don't know why they implemented Telnet VIs using semaphores.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,330 Views)

If you are wanting to customize the way the Telnet VI's work, they are not password protected and you are able to go in and change them to what you desire. I apologize for the inconvenience.

DylanC

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,312 Views)

@LV2010 wrote:

If it is the case, then why NI is selling as a product. It must be givien as free.

So because something does not fit your expectations it has to be free? I guess nothing may be sold anymore then! Good luck getting something at all in a few months from now.

You are free to develop your own fully reentrant Telnet Toolkit and provide it free of charge to the entire LabVIEW community. It's not like Telnet is such a complicated protocol, though implementing it well will take you quite a few working hours.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 7
(2,287 Views)

Hi Rolf,

Yes definitely. If I pay for the product then it has to meet the expectation.

If you buy any electronic device and if it doesn't meet the requirement, then do you keep it?

FYI, there are 3rd party software available. But I love LabVIEW and I would like to use LabVIEW for everything.

We implemented complex software and it tested for long time. It is working pretty good. Now I have to use 3rd party software and we need to spend time for testing again.

I like PXI solution from NI. It's pretty neat and easy to handle. Even there is 3rd party available for lesser price; still I go with NI PXI solution because it meets my requirement. The same way if I buy any product it has to meet the requirements.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,274 Views)
You were told that this is a known issue and that a CAR has been filed. You were also given a workaround. Does that work for you? If so then I am kind of shocked that you would complain. I think that you got some very good and timely support.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 7 of 7
(2,271 Views)