cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tektronix mso4 series reading data

Solved!
Go to solution

@JimB. wrote:

Got any specific recommendations for what constitutes a good switch, or which ones you prefer?

I am personally a fan of Netgear.  I have used their JGS516NA on multiple projects now with no issues.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 11 of 14
(432 Views)

@Kyle97330  已写:

At my company we've found that the best "switch" is no switch at all, but rather we just add on extra Ethernet ports to the PC and connect all of the equipment to the PC directly.  

• Prevents loops from forming if someone connects the switch to itself
  • Prevents the chance 2 PCs get connected to the same switch and try to use the same equipment
    • Also prevents the switch from being connected to your main company network and potentially allowing anyone anywhere access to them or interacting with DHCP without intending to
  • Allows use of different IP ranges (for instance, if one device insists on being on 192.168.*.* and another wants to be on 169.254.*.*) on a device by device basis
  • You can tell which device is on and plugged in by seeing which ports on your PC show as connected (as opposed to looking at lights on an Ethernet switch)
  • Prevents the switch being a point of failure (admittedly it adds failure points to your PC, but in my experience PC network cards are less likely to fail and when they do it's more obvious, i.e. Windows shows failure messages or they just disappear from Device Manager)

There are some drawbacks, i.e. you have to know which PC port connects to which device, you have to manage the IP settings for all the ports, but overall it works great for us.

Hi Kyle and crossrulz,

For the MSO4 and MSO2 Seris, I really don't know why USB port is not working well. but when I connect to a USB to LAN adapter(very cheat one,without external power source) the issue disappear, the usb port is the same one on my notebook. Sure that no "visa clear" in the command.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(431 Views)

@yeah wrote:
Hi Kyle and crossrulz,

For the MSO4 and MSO2 Seris, I really don't know why USB port is not working well. but when I connect to a USB to LAN adapter(very cheat one,without external power source) the issue disappear, the usb port is the same one on my notebook. Sure that no "visa clear" in the command.

Most likely a USB driver issue.  I have heard here and there that USB is flakey on the Tek scopes for some reason.  My current project uses a MSO5 and I communicate with it over LAN with no issues.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(421 Views)

Thanks. I have tried the TBS and MDO series, they seemed to be ok. The response for MSO series with USB seems slower that LAN, especially for some command. If I remember correctly, when trying to retrieve vertical scale, it takes about 300ms or more to get the reponse.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(417 Views)