cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target to Host DMA FIFO---actual number of elements

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a Target to Host DMA FIFO using block memory. Under the FIFO properties, the "actual number of elements" is stated as 1023 elements.

But when I wire an indicator to the "elements remaining" of the FIFO in the host VI, it says 16384 elements. And I can read that much element from the FIFO.

Why is the actual number of element that much greater?

The data type is U32. And I have a PXIe-7965R FPGA.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,616 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author u436

There are two different memory buffers for the FIFO: one on the host, the other on the FPGA.  Data is copied from one to the other.  There can be more space allocated on the host, since there is more memory available there and the host loop probably runs slower than the FPGA.  You can set the host buffer size using an FPGA Invoke Node set to FIFO Configure.

Message 2 of 10
(4,615 Views)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,613 Views)

Hi Nathand,

Thanks for your reply.

A related question...If the host FIFO buffer is larger than the FPGA FIFO buffer, will the data in the host FIFO buffer be sequential if I read the whole buffer at once?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,607 Views)

You'll always read the items from the FIFO in the order in which they were inserted.

Message 5 of 10
(4,597 Views)

Thanks for the reply Nathand.

What I wanted to ask is: Suppose I have am sampling a continuous signal x1, x2, x3, x4, x5 but say the FPGA FIFO has a buffer depth of only 1. And the host buffer has depth 4.

When I read 4 elements from the host buffer, would the data be in xn, xn+1, xn+2, xn+3. Or should I expect to lose some data points and get something like: xn, xn+3, xn+5, xn+8.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,587 Views)

When a DMA transfers occurs, the system copies the FPGA FIFO buffer into the host memory, then empties the FPGA buffer.  No transfer occurs until there is space available.  In your example, you should be able to enqueue 5 elements before you drop data, if you wait long enough between enqueue operations for the DMA transfer to occur.  If you try to enqueue multiple elements very quickly - faster than the DMA transfer can occur - then you'll lose data.  So, either of the situations you describe could occur, depending on the enqueue rate.  I don't know the details of the transfer mechanism and its timing.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,584 Views)

Also see the LabVIEW help: How DMA Transfers Work (FPGA Module).

Message 8 of 10
(4,580 Views)

OK, thanks again.

I guess the best way to check is to put a sequential input into the FIFO and check if the output is in sequence. It isn't.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,553 Views)

By "in sequence" do you mean that you get all the data, or that the data that you do receive is in the correct order?  I wouldn't be surprised if you drop some data, but the data that you do read should be in the order it was written, even if it's incomplete.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,550 Views)