LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking the Signal out through Serial comm port of pc

Hello i am working on control of robotic arm motion using EMG signal i have processed the EMG that will control the motion of robotic arm now i have to take signal out from Labview using serial comm port of pc and then that siganl will be used to control the motion of RC servo motor Please tell me how i can take out processed signal of labview through Serial comm port.

Please suggest me some solution for this problem i have very limited time this is my Fianl year project.

Thanks
Waiting for your kind reply

M A Bhatti

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,376 Views)

What do you mean "processed signal"? The serial comm port is just that, a serial comm port. It won't produce different levels (analog), it will produce "digital" high and low level signals, based on messages being sent through the serial port. If what you are asking is how to send messages through the serial port, there are examples in the LabVIEW "Help" "Find Examples" toolbar pull down. Search using "serial". If what you want is a varying analog signal, the serial comm port won't do that, you will need a Data Acquisition unit, with Analog out.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,371 Views)

You should read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

Note the section on voltage levels. You can't control them.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,366 Views)

Yes sir i want an analog signal from labview using serial comm port ...What will be solution for that?.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,363 Views)

That's not really saying much. The serial port was not designed to control motors. It is a very low current device, and it's intended to be used for communication. You cannot control the voltage levels, although you can control the "on"/"off" state of some of the lines, like DTS. You haven't explained what you mean by "control the motion of the RC servo motor". What exactly does this mean? Does it take a varying voltage? Does it take a pulse? Does it take something else? Unless you provide some more details on what you have and what you are trying to do, all we can do is play guessing games.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,357 Views)

I want to ask that after processing any signal in Labview how i can get it out of computer using serial comm port

so that i can use it for any other purpose?.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,352 Views)

Dear we have to just connect the serial port with the microcontroller and in micrcontroller we will cotrol RC servo motor and from the labview we have to just send data Like "1" or "0".

There is another problem we are facing is that there is no serial port in the Laptops then how can we send required output for the microcontroller. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,340 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,337 Views)

If you are connecting a serial port to a microcontroller you will be probably sending "messages" to the microcontroller. As mentioned before there are example in the LabVIEW "Help":"Find Examples" pulldown on the toolbar. Search for "serial". As the previous poster mentions, there are inexpensive USB-Serial Adapters, which show up in Windows as a normal comm port. You will need to install National Instruments NI-Visa drivers to allow LabVIEW to access the serial port.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,326 Views)